Sunday, December 19, 2021

Back to the Classics Challenge: 2021 - It's a Wrap


I actually finished my final book in November, but I've been so busy lately I have just now found the time to do my wrap up post.

 1. A 19th century classic: any book first published from 1800 to 1899 - The Eustace Diamonds, by Anthony Trollope, 3rd in the Palliser series. Really enjoyed this book, one of my favorite Trollope's to date, and one of my favorite classics of the year.

2. A 20th century classic: any book first published from 1900 to 1971 - The Painted Veil, by W. Somerset Maugham. Not only did I really enjoy this book, but I was blown away by Maugham's writing and promptly went out and procured a handful of other books by him to read next year.

3. A classic by a woman author - Giant, by Edna Ferber. Absolutly wonderful. Made a vow to read more by this almost forgotten 20th century American writer.

4. A classic in translation, meaning any book first published in a language that is not your primary language - Pot Luck, by Emile Zola. Dismal. My least favorite classic by far, and that's saying a lot in a year with Martin Chuzzlewit!

5. A classic by BIPOC author; that is, a non-white author - To Sir, With Love, by E.R. Braithwaite. Absolutely first rate. Wonderful non-fiction, memoir.

6. A classic by a new-to-you author, i.e., an author whose work you have never read - Christ Stopped at Eboli, by Carlo Levi. Another incredibly good and moving book about a time and place, Italy in the 1930s, that interests me so much.

7. New-to-you classic by a favorite author -- a new book by an author whose works you have already read - Martin Chuzzlewit, by Charles Dickens. Not my favorite Dickens, but now only two more to read before I can claim having read all of his novels.

8. A classic about an animal, or with an animal in the title -  Birds, Beasts and Relatives by Gerald Durrell. I love Gerald Durrell's stories about his family and life in Corfu. Charming.

9. A children's classic- I scanned the Newbury winners and selected Adam of the Road, by Elizabeth Janet Gray. Super enjoyed this children's classic.

10. A humorous or satirical classic - The History of Tom Jones, A Foundlingby Henry Fielding. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Long-winded, yes, but funny and interesting.

11. A travel or adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction) - Pictures from Italyby Charles Dickens. Not his best. Some parts were good, but mostly Dickens just made fun of the locals, which is not endearing.

12. A classic play - Inherit the Wind, Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee. Absolutely excellent. I really have to find the time to watch the movie. Timely for today's crazy environment.

Not sure if Karen is hosting this challenge again in 2022, but I will sign up if she is! janetgs05@gmail.com.

Happy Holidays to all my blogging friends. May your days be merry and bright.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. You read some interesting classics this year! I almost didn't finish all twelve of mine. Fingers crossed Karen decides to host this challenge again in 2022. Happy holidays!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever watch The Pallisers when it was on PBS? I only read one or two Trollopes but I certainly loved the series. Susan Hampshire was wonderful; actually, the whole cast was great, as I recall.

    I really liked The Painted Veil too. I probably already told you to put two others by Elizabeth Janet Gray on your list: The Fair Adventure and Jane Hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did see The Pallisers. I've always liked Susan Hampshire--she played my favorite character in Monarch of the Glen.

      Yes, I remember your saying how much you liked Elizabeth Janet Grays's books. I will put them on the list for next year!

      Delete
  3. Great list of books and congratulations on completing the challenge I want to read Painted Veil because I have never read Somerset Maugham and I've been curious about his books for some time. Also to Sir With Love sounds good and I really enjoyed your review of this memoir.

    Happy Holidays and have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin Chuzzlewit is one of my favorites but probably because it was the first Dickens I ever read and it is what made me want to read more! Are you going to read The Mystery of Edwin Drood? I am on the fence about it. I have read all his completed novels but wonder if this will be dissatisfying because it was never finished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely read The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I don't even know, at this point, how far along in the story Dickens was when he died, but I cannot skip it. I like to finish reading projects so it's a must!

      Delete
  5. All the Somerset Maugham books are good. I love his writing! I still can't forget The Razor's Edge. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete