Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Birds, Beasts and Relatives - Gerald Durrell

 


A couple of years ago I fell in love with the Durrell family via the TV series The Durrells of Corfu and in particular Gerry, the precocious child naturalist whose trilogy memoirs formed the basis of the series.

Birds, Beasts and Relatives is the second book in the trilogy, and it was absolutely delightful to read. Normally, I am a read-the-book first person, but in this case I liked having the cast of the TV series in my head as I read about histrionic Larry, gun-loving Leslie, fun-loving Margo, hapless Mother, and, of course, charming Gerry. 


I adored Theodore, Gerry's mentor as a naturalist, and his quirks, interests, and dapper style. Sven was also in the book, as was Spiro, who adopts the Durrells and guides them through life in Corfu. The Countess is also in the book, but only slightly--there is a more fully developed story for her in the series, but then maybe that part is included in the third book in the trilogy, The Garden of the Gods, which I plan to read next year.

I loved the family's adventures sailing and picnicing, harvesting olives, attending local festivals and community events, and all of the weird and wonderful animals Gerry collects, watches, studies, and loves. I also love his willingness to make friends with everyone, from prisoners on furlough to local fishermen who take him night fishing so that he can find new aquatic species.

I gave this book 5 stars on GoodReads because it was so incredibly enjoyable to read and Durrell is really an excellent writer, painting gorgeous word pictures of life in Corfu in the 1930s. If only I had a time machine, I'd be there in a minute!

This book, first published in 1969, qualifies for the 2021 Back to the Classics Challenge in the category of classic about an animal, or with an animal in the title.

9 comments:

  1. I had no idea the series (which I have not yet watched) was based on these books. You've got me adding to my tbr list again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the first season, then got distracted, but my book group also read the book and invited some of the offspring to read along and join us for that discussion, which was surprisingly successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to share this book among family members. I know I would have loved it if I'd read it as a teen. It reminded me of the Clarence Day (Life with Father) and James Thurber memoirs I devoured in my adolescence.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like both the books and the TV series are well worth investing time in and unfortunately I have never been much of a nature person but lately since the film with Kate Winslet I've developed an interest in Mary Anning and the Durrell's sound like a family I would like to get to know as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The books seem enticing. I have not been to Greece or Corfu. I did read one Durrell book in my childhood and liked it. Quite the naturalist I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to reading the trilogy. I think I read one years ago, and in college I read his brother's - The Alexandria Quartet. I am so loving the PBS series, and plan to buy it on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. His first book has long been on my list. Thanks for the push to get to it sooner rather than later! Maybe I can work it into next year's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the first novel but for some reason couldn't much get into the second, I should try again -- probably just the wrong time. I also loved the 2005 adaptation starring Imelda Staunton as the mother and Matthew Goode as Lawrence. It's streaming on Britbox, I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read the first book at least. It sounds delightful, as does the adaptation.

    ReplyDelete