Sunday, September 17, 2017

Elizabeth Gaskell - a compendium of posts



Back in the early days of my blog, I did a lot of reading around Elizabeth Gaskell and so did a lot of posts about what I was reading. Here is a organized list of most of the posts.

Can you tell she's one of my favorite authors?

Reading Gaskell for the First Time?
Top Ten Things to Know About Elizabeth Gaskell
Elizabeth Gaskell: 20 Questions Quiz
Gaskell 20 Questions...19 Answers
A Philatelic Look at Bronte, Gaskell, Eliot

The Life of Charlotte Bronte Posts
The Life of Charlotte Bronte
Bronte Humor, Gaskell Bio, and Plath's poem
Gaskell's Life of Charlott Bronte
Gaskell's Life of Charlotte Bronte: the French, Branwell, and Ruth
Gaskell's Life of Charlotte Bronte: The Professor and "Mode of Composition"
Gaskell's Life of Charlotte Bronte: In the Hill-Country Silence

Ruth Posts
Gaskell's Ruth

Wives and Daughters Posts
Ironic reversal...comedy, tragedy, and Austen
Wives and Daughters...the beginning of the end
Fate is a cunning hussy... more W&D
Wives and Daughters: P&P - the Gibsons and the Bennets
Wives and Daughters - Remembrance of things past
Gaskell and Mr. Gibson: Feet of Clay
Wives and Daughters: thoughts on earmarked pages
Moorland Cottage: precursor to Wives and Daughters
Mr. Harrison's Confessions - Paper on General Practitioners in  Victorian England
Mr. Harrison's Confessions

North and South Posts
Gaskell vs. Nightingale, North & South
Hard Times by Charles Dickens (comparison to North and South)
Graham Greene on North and South
Austen's Influence on Gaskell: N&S parallels to P&P
Austen's Influence on Gaskell: Background Thoughts
North and South vs. Pride and Prejudice - Part III
Pride and Prejudice vs. North and South: Why the Similarities
Final Thoughts on Austen's Influence on Gaskell's North and South

Short Stories and Novellas
The Old Nurse's Story - Gaskell's Finest Ghost Story
Gaskell's The Half-brothers
Curious, If True
Moorland Cottage
Men and Their Houses - discussion of The Grey Woman, Sylvia's Lovers, et al

Cousin Phillis Posts
Cousin Phillis - Geeks and Freaks...the other Side of Sylvia
Cousin Phillis - Tragedy Averted
Cousin Phillis - a fragment? Say what?

Sylvia's Lovers Posts
Gaskell's Sylvia's Lovers
Sylvia's Lovers - Paragraph on Prayer and Narrator's Preaching
Sylvia's Lovers - Farmer, Sailor, Tradesman
Sylvia's Lovers - Dialect and Extras

My Lady Ludlow Posts
Gaskell's My Lady Ludlow
Framed stories in Gaskell's Lady Ludlow
Gaskell's My Lady Ludlow: Final thoughts






9 comments:

  1. This is an impressive list of Gaskell reads!

    I have not yet read Gaskell. I love Victorian Literature of this type so this is somewhat a glaring omission in my reading. I really should rectify this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thread and I am going to make time to read all of your excellent posts on Elizabeth Gaskell and her novels. I have only read North and South so far. Fell in love with Richard Armitage's portrayal of John Thornton. In the book though I was more taken with Margaret Hale and I agree that she and zElizabeth Bennett are different. Margaret making friends and helping a mill worker's family which I am not sure Bennett would have done. Also Margaret loses both of her parents and not sure how Bennett would have handled tbat one either. I think Pride and Prejudice is the better book but Margaret Hale and John Thornton have been tested by life in a way that Elizabeth Bennett and Darcy were not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have only read North and South but really want to get to Wives and Daughters. I think I am going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's awesome! I love Gaskell too but obviously not quite as much as you, hee, hee! I still have a few of her books to go, including Wives and Daughters. So far Ruth is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read two of Elizabeth Gaskell's books, so your post is an absolute gold mine!

    I first read Cranford at school and wasn't impressed then, but I loved it when I read it as an adult a while back. I read Wives and Daughters earlier this year and absolutely loved it. I think I'll read North and South next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell in love with Gaskell after I read North and South. I loved the movie they did a few years ago too! Very impressive list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new look of your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't really looking for a change, except I wanted to show more pages on the top horizontal bar, and this seemed to be the way to do it. I'm liking the new look myself. Sort of like getting a haircut!

      Delete
  8. Great resources! I read a few of her books this year: N & S, Ruth, Mary Barton. I found her books after watching the movie of N & S & loving it, although it missed so much, which isn’t surprising for a movie, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete