Saturday, April 27, 2013

Joining the Classics Club



A lot of my blogger friends are members of the Classics Club, and since this seems to be my year of jumping on the bandwagon, I decided to join.  Here is my list of fifty classics in five years.  

Only one is currently in-progress, Frankenstein, the rest are books that I plan to read or reread within the next five years. 

Most are novels, but there are a couple of non-fiction books in there as well.
  1. Mystery Mile, by Margery Allingham
  2. Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury
  3. Agnes Grey, by Anne Bronte
  4. Villette, by Charlotte Bronte
  5. The Thirty-nine Steps, by John Buchan
  6. In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote
  7. Song of the Lark, by Willa Cather
  8. A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens
  9. The Pickwick Papers, by Charles Dickens (reread)
  10. David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens (reread)
  11. Dombey and Son, by Charles Dickens
  12. Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens (reread)
  13. Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens
  14. Frenchman's Creek, by Daphne du Maurier
  15. The Scapegoat, by Daphne du Maurier
  16. Middlemarch, by George Eliot
  17. Daniel Deronda, by George Eliot
  18. The French Lieutenant's Woman, by John Fowles
  19. A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster
  20. The Vicar of Wakefield, by Oliver Goldsmith
  21. The Mayor of Casterbridge, Thomas Hardy
  22. A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway
  23. A Movable Feast, by Ernest Hemingway
  24. Captains Courageous, by Rudyard Kipling
  25. The Sybil, by Par Lagerkvist (reread)
  26. The Blue Castle, by L.M. Montgomery
  27. Jane of Lantern Hill, by L.M. Montgomery
  28. Miss Marjoribanks, by Margaret Oliphant
  29. Excellent Women, by Barbara Pym
  30. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley 
  31. The Black Arrow, by R.L. Stevenson 
  32. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, by R.L. Stevenson
  33. Crossing to Safety, by Wallace Stegner
  34. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck (reread)
  35. Travels with Charley, by John Steinbeck
  36. East of Eden, by John Steinbeck (reread)
  37. Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy
  38. War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy
  39. Dr. Thorne, by Anthony Trollope 
  40. Framley Parsonage, by Anthony Trollope
  41. The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope
  42. The Last Chronicle of Barset, by Anthony Trollope
  43. Can You Forgive Her, by Anthony Trollope
  44. The Guns of August, by Barbara Tuchman
  45. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Jules Verne
  46. The Buccaneers, by Edith Wharton
  47. The House of Mirth, by Edith Wharton
  48. The Once and Future King, by T.H. White
  49. Germinal, by Emile Zola
  50. The Paradise, by Emile Zola

15 comments:

  1. Looks to be a great list!

    I look forward to reading your commentary on Frankenstein when you have completed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read some of these & have some on my list too. I do like Joyce Carol Oates and have read Blonde - it took me ages and is different from some of her other books, some of which I don't like very much and some I love. I liked Blonde very much. I think it's one of her best books (of the ones I've read).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you think I found out about Blonde, Margaret? Your blog, of course! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, fancy that! I do hope you like it.

      Delete
  3. Great list - welcome to The Club! I see several of my favorites on your list, and quite a few overlaps with my own, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined earlier this year and am really enjoying it so far. My reading of classics has increased tremendously since joining! Our lists are actually quite different in terms of selection so it will be fun to see your posts on books not on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have several on your list that are on mine too. I really love this challenge, but it's more than a challenge...it's a community builder.

    I'm hosting a post-2000 "modern classic" read-a-long in May at my blog, but I don't see any of the titles I have up for vote on your list. You can still check out the poll if you like in the top right sidebar of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list, Jane - all the Trollope, and then James McPherson's book as well! I'll look forward to your reviews, and you've got me thinking which of these I need to add to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the Club! Looks like an incredibly challenging list. In Cold Blood and David Copperfield are two of my favorites. I started my list last year, and it's really motivational to have a list to keep going back to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the club! Many I haven't read from your list. Sounds a lot of fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousMay 09, 2013

    Welcome to the Club :-) You have an interesting list. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some great books on your list. It always amazes me how many different options there are out there under the umbrella of "classics" -- definitely something out there for everyone!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agnes Grey is one of my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just joined the Classics Club too! Your list looks great; I adore Frankenstein.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some of my favorites on your list, including Crossing to Safety and In Cold Blood. Welcome to the Club!

    ReplyDelete