Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Corn Mango Salsa



 Mostly I blog about books, but occasionally I find a recipe that I love so much that I can't help sharing it.

This is just such a one.  I discovered it in early June and I've made it regularly all summer.  Fresh, delicious, beautiful, and now mostly from my garden.


Toss together the following ingredients--the * items are from my garden. 
  • 1 jalapeno pepper* - diced super small
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion*
  • 1 handful of cilantro*, chopped
  • 1 small tomato*, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
  • juice from 1/2 a lime
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 mango - peeled, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper*
  • 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (I soak 1 ear of corn in water, then grill it, then cut the kernals off)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
  • Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Taste and try not to eat entire salad before serving with dinner!

Full disclosure--I adapted this recipe from the one I found here.

Looking in my blog archives, here's one of my own creation, what I call Summer Stew.  I haven't made it yet this year because the eggplant is just starting to come on, but next week it should be "what's for dinner" one night.

2 comments:

  1. I love every single ingredient included in this recipe! Especially the jalapenos, cilantro and cumin. Looks great like a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just telling my husband that I need to start growing my own cilantro - I've been buying SO much of it this summer! Your recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete