Thursday, October 08, 2026

Top Ten Tuesday (belated): Books That Conjure Happy Memories

I haven't finished anything since my last post, so here's a Top Ten Tuesday instead :)

The theme is lovely -- books that conjure happy memories.

Books My Dad Read Aloud

My dad was a wonderful reader, and he read his favorite children's books in rotation aloud when I was young. I have reread them all multiple times and always think of my Dad.

1. The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Graham - the adventures of Ratty, Mole, Mr. Toad, and Badger. Disney doesn't do them justice. I love the original illustrations, and when I reread the book I can hear my Dad.

2. Winnie the Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner, by A.A. Milne - my Dad read Kanga and Roo so perfectly. In fact, each character had a distinctive voice when he read aloud to me.

3. Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll - but not Through the Looking Glass. I've read this one on my own, and I never could figure out why my Dad didn't like it.

Other Childhood Favorites

4, Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery - the whole series, over and over. So many good memories. Anne always made me feel good.

Books I Read in School

5. East of Eden, by John Steinbeck - what a wonderful book by the quintessential American author. I've read this several times since high school. The last time was on a road trip that included Salinas. Very good memory :)

6. Middlemarch, by George Eliot - I read this as a sophomore in college in an Austen to Dickens class, where I also read Bleak House for the first time. Middlemarch has everything I love about Victorian literature--complex characters, moral dilemmas, sympathetic narrator, and wonderful setting. Just thinking about it makes me want to dive back into it.

Books My Kids Introduced Me To

7. Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller - I love modern novels of ancient mythology, and this is one that my son told me about and then gave to me. I loved it, and I love that my son gave it to me.

8. Sandwich, by Catherine Newman - my daughter recommended this book after her boss raved about it, and I loved it. I probably wouldn't have given it a glance otherwise. My daughter only recently embraced reading as a worthwhile way to spend her time, and this makes me happy.

Books Recommended by Other Book Bloggers

9. Katherine, by Anya Seton - I'm pretty sure that I first heard about this author from Constance at Staircase Wit. I love historical fiction and Seton writes such good stuff. Thinking about Katherine reminds me how much I value this bookish community.

10. The Rose Code, by Kate Quinn - I had tried other Quinn novels, but didn't feel wowed until I started reading others' reviews of this amazingly good book.  It's all about giving people a second chance, even authors.

Everything Austen for Extra Credit

I started reading Austen at age 13--my Mom bought me a copy of Pride and Prejudice, and the rest is history. Austen has given me more pleasure than any other writer out there, and I love a lot of writers and their books. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, Great List of books. I read the first book in tne Ann of Green Gables series and I can see why its a classic. As with Little House in The Bog Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder, L M Montgomery is such a talented writer and these books can be enjoyed at any age.

    East of Eden reminds me I have Grapes of Wrath on my shelf and must get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reread The Grapes of Wrath a few years ago. I liked it more than I did in high school, but I still prefer EoE. Definitely a book worth reading, though.

      Delete
  2. I love Middlemarch and all things Austen, too. And my dad was the one who taught me to read. I have many fond memories of reading books with him and with my mom, too. I was lucky to have parents who surrounded me with books and gave me a love of reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same--I grew up literally surrounded by books, and they have helped shape my life.

      Delete
  3. Great list. My parents also read aloud to us. My dad read some JD Salinger and Hemingway to us. And I recall my mom reading Daddy-Long-Legs to me as a kid. At school I think we were read Charlotte's Web. I think I'd like to return to East of Eden sometime this winter, after the TV series. Blogger recs are often helpful ... I enjoyed recently The Last Bookshop in London on audio which you had reviewed ... so I added it.

    ReplyDelete