Thursday, August 08, 2024

Dog Days and Summer Reads


At the Edge of the Orchard, by Tracy Chevalier - I like everything Chevalier writes, and this was no exception, except it takes a lot of faith to make it through the first part, which has some of the most disagreeable characters you can imagine. Actually, I started this book five or so years ago and stopped reading after about 30 pages because I couldn't stand the company. But, my husband read it and said that the awful people are really only in the first part and the overall story is good. Then, the GoodReads True Book Talk group voted to read it in July, so I plunged back in. 

The story starts with a homesteading family in the Black Swamp in Ohio in the 1830s and their struggle to survive and grow apples, courtesy of John Chapman, aka Johnny Appleseed. The father loves grafting trees to produce his favorite variety to eat, and the mother loves hard cider...to a fault. 

Robert is the eldest son, and the novel really gets good when he heads west to make his fortune and after trying his hand at cowboying and gold mining, he ends up working for a botanist from England who makes his living by providing English gardens and landowners with seeds and seedlings from redwoods and sequoias. Who knew this was a thing back in the 1850s? Loved reading about California in the early days.


How to Read a Book, by Monica Wood - this was a recommendation from JoAnn at Gulfside Musing, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable novel. Shades of Orange is the New Black as a women's correctional facility figures prominently--Violet is incarcerated for manslaughter, Harriet is a retired teacher who leads a weekly bookclub at the prison, and Frank is the husband of the woman Violet accidently killed. It is truly a lovely story about second chances and the power of forgiveness as a life-giving force.

Fun Fact: did you know that African Grey Parrots are super smart and can differentiate colors and objects and show feelings and affection? I didn't, but I learned a lot about them while reading this book!



Jane Austen: Writing, Society, Politics, by Tom Keymer - this was the JASNA Denver/Boulder bookclub's selection for our July read. Chosen because the author is delivering a keynote at the JASNA AGM in October in Cleveland (no, I am not going this year), it turned out to be quite interesting. 

A sampling of the tidbits I learned:

  • Blaise Castle, where John Thorpe takes Catherine Morland at breakneck speed in Northanger Abbey, was actually a tourist trap and folly and not a real gothic castle.
  • Virginia Woolf wrote something called "Jane Austen at 60," which I think I would like to read sometime.
  • Vladimir Nabakov lectured on Austen and did a drawing of Sotherton Court from Mansfield Park.

It was a fun, interesting book, and I'm sure his keynote will be excellent.

Once Persuaded, Twice Shy, by Melodie Edwards - for our September book, JASNA Denver/Boulder decided to read some fun modern riffs on Persuasion. I am traveling in September, so I got a jumpstart and read this one, which takes place in Canada (Niagra-on-the-Lake). It was enormous fun--well-written with mostly believable characters, sufficient angst, and a lovely resolution. Perfect summer escapism, but everyone agreed...the title is atrocious.

The author has also written a modern Jane Eyre story, Jane & Edward, that I might read. Has anyone read it? Worth reading?


The Scarecrow, by Michael Connelly - I've been listening to Connelly's Harry Bosch, Mickey Haller (Lincoln Lawyer), and Renee Ballard LA crime novels, but I didn't know that he had a 3-part series that featured a newspaper reporter until I was looking for something to listen to and stumbled across the middle book in the series. I generally don't read series out of order, but rules are made to be broken. 

Jack McEvoy is a LA Times crime reporter who has just been given his pink slip. He sees an opportunity to write a final, Pulitzer-Prize winning story with a tip that comes during his last week, and we're off to the races. This was classic Connelly in that I felt like I really had an insider's view of a newsroom and the relationships between law enforcement, lawyers, and the media. The set up was high-tech featuring data centers and hacking, the bad guys were smart and horrible, and the characters were terrific. I'm just sorry that McEvoy only has three books.


The Plot, by Jean Hanff Korelitz - I was super excited to read this one, but only ended up giving it three stars because I really hated the ending, which felt so contrived and non-satisfying. I also had a hard time buying into the premise, which is that a struggling novelist uses a surefire plot that one of his students told him before that student passed away. Apparently, using this plot was somehow considered heinous, which really didn't resonate with me, and the revenge angle also stretched my ability to suspend disbelief. 

-----------------

I think that's a wrap on the reading front.

In other news, it is finally raining in Colorado, helping to dampen down the wildfires and smoky haze, which means I need to get outside a do some weeding while we have a break from the heat.

I am loving the Olympics. Women's rugby!!! Who knew it was so much fun to watch? And track and field, and swimming, and diviing, and volleyball, and tennis, and something called Cross Canoe Slalom. Wow!

I am also loving Bridgerton. I finally bit the bullet and started watching. Finished season 2 last night, now on to season 3. I used to think Downton Abbey had the best costumes, but Bridgerton is just eye-candy galore. 

The tomatoes are starting to ripen so I'll be making tomato sauce to freeze for the winter. The chili peppers are fantastic, so I've been roasting and peeling and dicing and freezing for green chili. I actually grew bell peppers this year, and they are growing and just starting to ripen. The onions are awesome.

Life is good. Hope you are well and enjoying the dog days.

10 comments:

  1. A nice collection of books. Never read Tracy Chevalier. But I know she is popular and At The Edge Of The Orchard sounds interesting. It's a different kind of western since Richard goes out west and discovers botany and gardening.

    I have been eyeing The P.ot. A great premise for a novel but thanks for letting us know the ending is disappointing. And I agree with you. Writers using another writer's plot idea has been done all the time in literature. Think of Rebecca which has so many of the same elements as Jane Eyre. The only real wrong is if the writer had copied his student's words. That would be plagerism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lifting plots is as old as story telling.

      And Tracy Chevalier is a wonderful author. There are still some of her early stuff that I haven't read yet, but she never disappoints.

      Delete
  2. It's been a long time since I last read a book from Chevalier, she's a wonderful story teller. Would look up at At the Edge of the Orchard.

    How To Read A Book sounds lovely, if not for the bookish theme, the parrots certainly sold it! I've just found the audiobook, will save it for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parrots were a lovely bonus to this gift of a book!

      Delete
  3. I knew parrots were smart, but not that smart! And I'm happy to know you enjoyed Once Persuaded, Twice Shy so much. That one's on my TBR list. And I didn't like The Plot either. I thought it was contrived and didn't ring true...I mean, you can't copywrite an idea! And the ending bugged me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, lots of good books for you, and so much variety! I'm intrigued by How to Read a Book and Jane & Edward. And my husband and I love all of Michael Connelly's books ... but we didn't know there were 3 books about a reporter, either! Thanks for the heads up :) We also love the TV adaptations - Bosch and Bosch: Legacy (featuring his daughter, Maddie) and the new Lincoln Lawyer show on Netflix, too.

    Enjoy your reading!

    Sue
    2024 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had a lot of onions, potatoes, and zucchinis so far but the tomatoes have been slow to ripen. Hmm. I hope soon or summer will be over. I wasn't a big fan of The Plot either ... and found it slow at the beginning and the rest just so-so. I liked the parrot part of the book in the Monica Wood novel -- that was cool to learn about. And I'd like to read another Chevalier novel. I have only read 1 of hers! A Single Thread. Maybe Remarkable Creatures or the Orchard one. Enjoy your days in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great Chevalier novels. Girl with the Pearl Earring, of course, but the Lady and the Unicorn is also really good. Remarkable Creatures might be my favorite--I've already read it twice. And, I've read The Last Runaway twice also.

      Delete
    2. Good to know about the other Chevalier novels, thanks. I forgot I have read Girl with the Pearl Earring (so I've read 2). That one was so long ago.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed How to Read a Book... the African Grey Parrots were an added bonus! That ending of The Plot was pretty out there, but I'm curious what she'll do with The Sequel. It's been a while since I read Tracy Chevalier, but always enjoy her books and this sounds like another winner. Enjoy the rest of your summer... there's nothing like a homegrown tomato!!

    ReplyDelete