Monday, March 25, 2024

Another Roundup

Wow, it's been almost two weeks since my last post. Time flies when you are planting seeds, watering seedlings, trimming overgrown dogwoods, moving pea gravel, and dreaming of snowless days! Springtime in Colorado means weekly snowstorms...thankful for the moisture, though!

Here are the milk jugs in which I sowed native seeds for the garden.

And here you can see that the Anise Hyssop seeds, which I sowed on Feb 7, have germinated.

When I am not gardening, here's what I've been reading:

The Call of the Wrens, by Jenni Walsh - another dual timeframe with two main characters whose stories converge. Marion is a dispatch motorcycle rider with the Wrens (i.e., Women's Royal Navy Services) during WWI and Evelyn has the same role during WWII. I love the time period and the individual stories were good--what I had a bit of a problem with was how they converged. A solid three stars, but it left me with a bit of eye-rolling despite really enjoying learning about motorcycle dispatch riding.



The Day That Never Comes, by Caimh McDonnell - second in the 7-part Dublin trilogy (yes, you read that right, 7 books in this trilogy), which just shows the charm and cheek of this Irish comic turned mystery writer. This was an excellent followup to book 1, The Man With One of Those Faces. Believe me when I say that these books are enormously fun to read.


The Door in the Wall, by Marguerite de Angeli - I read this after Kathy posted about it on Reading Matters. Published in 1949, it is a children's book that chronicles the adventures of young Robin, son of a knight in 13th century England. We hear about the plague, which cripples Robin, and how he learns to function again and enjoy life (i.e., finding a door in the wall), about life in both a monastery and a castle, and what it was like to travel in the medieval world. Thoroughly enjoyable.



Jane Austen
, by Margaret Kennedy - I've been reading Austen and reading about Austen for over 50 years but only heard about this marvelous little book earlier this year. It was pitched to me as a bio, but the biographical details are brief, and most of the book is commentary by Kennedy, a novelist and playwright from the early 20th century. I haven't read anything else by her, but I think her observations and critique of Austen's work are spot on...except for Lady Susan, which I liked far more than she did. This book wasn't easy to find, but I got a copy through interlibrary loan from a university library. 

Oh, and Happy Equinox! Something we can all celebrate!



4 comments:

  1. I've never seen seeds sown that way! Do you just cut away the top of the milk jug when they've grown big enough to plant? And gardening does take up a lot of time. My poor garden is looking so sad and weedy right now. I need someone like you to tell me how to fix it up. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just learned about winter sowing this year. Fingers crossed that everything germinates and then survives transplanting! Good luck with your garden--everything looks sad in March in most of the western states!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jane,
    Good luck with the gardening and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. So glad you liked The Door In The Wall.

    Margaret Kennedy's book on Jane Austen sounds interesting particularly because she wrote it in the early 20th century and so she might have different insights than Austen scholars have today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to know how you sow the seeds and which plants do you do this with? That's an interesting Austen find.

    ReplyDelete