Monday, September 18, 2023

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell

 


Maggie O’Farrell’s latest novel, The Marriage Portrait, is even better than Hamnet and The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, both of which I thought were terrific. Unlike other novels that purport to be the backstory of a famous work of art (e.g., The Girl with the Pearl Earring, The Lady and the Unicorn), this is the backstory of a portrait that probably existed but that hasn’t survived, which makes it even more intriguing.

This is the story of Lucrezia di Medici, a middle child and third daughter of Cosimo I, Grand Duke of Florence, and teenage bride of Alfonso, Duke of Ferrara. She died early in the marriage, perhaps from disease, perhaps murdered by her husband who was desperate for an heir and unwilling to wait long for Lucrezia to conceive.

I absolutely loved the character that O’Farrell bestowed on this unsung female who for centuries has been little more than a footnote of Florentine history. She was an artist, fascinated and attuned to the natural world, particularly animals. She was strong, energetic, and intelligent—had the Florentine world not been enslaved by a patriarchal society, she would have been an ideal successor to her father, much more so than any of her brothers. She was definitely a spiritual sister of the caged tiger she charmed into letting her pet her, and their stories tracked each other until near the end when Lucrezia's veered in a different direction.

************SPOILERS BELOW*****************

I absolutely adored the ending and was fervently hoping that the story would resolve as it did, with Lucrezia escaping from the fate history allotted her and finding a place and role for herself as an anonymous artist of exquisite tiny paintings of animals, presumably finding love and passion, purpose and fulfillment outside the trappings and dangers of court and politics and power.

Usually, I am a stickler for historical accuracy, but in the case of Lucrezia, about whom so little is known, I have no problem with this author creating an alternate reality for her.

I also think that O'Farrell did a great job in her portrait of Alfonso. Our view of him was entirely governed by Lucrezia's, evolving as she matured from the little girl she was when she first met him to the innocent bride whose only role is to bear children to the scared teenager who has learned what he is capable of doing when thwarted. 

******************************************

Definitely a 5-star novel that I look forward to rereading someday.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, I enjoy historical novels from the middle ages and I know that The Marriage Portrait is getting some very fine reviews. It was not easy for women even if they came from good families and married into royalty it could be dangerous. One thinks of Katherine Howard the 5th wife of Henry the VIII. But as with Katherine, Lucrezia had no way of refusing her parent's choice of husband. She was trapped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow better than Hamnet. I loved that one. I wonder if O'Farrell will stick with historical fiction for her next book. hmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review, I loved this book as well and I'm always impressed by O'Farrell's range. I loved Hamnet too, and many of her others, but happily I do think she's getting even better as a writer. I appreciated the ending too, and agree with what you said about how she gradually reveals Alfonso's character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading 'My Last Duchess' by Robert Browning at school, and it was based on the same story. I assumed this book would be an expansion of that sad poem, and have avoided it for that reason. Thanks for letting me know it has a different ending!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also loved the ending, although no one in my book group spared a kind thought for the devoted maid! I suspected she was a goner when their resemblance was so carefully mentioned. I never finished Hamnet (it was short but kept being due at the library) but liked this so much I will definitely read her other books.

    ReplyDelete