Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Mysteries -- Quebec, Dublin, and London

The Paston Treasure, circa 1670 - featured in A World of Curiosities

I do love a good mystery and a good mystery series and a good mystery-series author. In the midst of a couple of super long books, I managed to fit in a few that meet all three criteria to add extra zest to my summer reading.

A World of Curiosities, by Louise Penny is book 18 in Penny's fabulous Armand Gamache series, set in Quebec. I absolutely loved this mystery and think it among the best of the series. It hits all the right notes for me--mostly taking place in the wonderful village of Three Pines and featuring Armand, his family, his neighbors, his dogs, it tells the backstory of Armand and his second-in-command and son-in-law Jean Guy. It features art (i.e., The Paston Treasure), the struggle between good and evil, DNA, puzzles, witches, and traditions.  The mystery was absolutely first-rate and kept me guessing as to how it would all work out until the end. Clocking in at exactly 400 pages, it counts as my 3rd book in the Big Book Summer Challenge 2023.

A Man With One of Those Faces, Caimh McDonnell - this is a new series for me, book 1 of the author's Dublin Trilogy. McDonnell was apparently a stand-up comedian before becoming an author, and the book is very funny as well as a great mystery chock full of interesting, quirky characters. I loved the setting and the main character and the overall premise (i.e., the fact that Paul Mulchrone has one of those faces and keeps on being mistaken for someone else...with dire consequences).

The White Lady, by Jacqueline Winspear - as a devoted fan of the author's Maisie Dobbs series, I was eager to read this new book in what I expect will be a new series. It was quite good, but the main character, Elinor White, is an awful lot like Maisie. Both survived WWI, with Elinor being slightly younger than Maisie was during that war, but with significant emotional scarring. Both are mentored by strong individuals who recognize their innate abilities, and both work in clandestine roles during WWII. Both school themselves to be steady, strong, capable, and moral. Both love suppers of soup and bread and cheese. I'm not sure if Winspear felt that Maisie's story was winding up, and Elinor was a way she could move into the post-war world. I guess I'm okay with that since I enjoy reading Winspear's novels.

3 comments:

  1. I love Louise Penny's Three Pines series. I finished Bury Your Dead and must read the next in the series in September. I've never found a series quite like this where if you are feeling stressed or a bit blue beginning a new Three Pines novel will pick up your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Winspear characters do sound a lot alike. No more Maisie? Or is this just temporary? You are doing well with the Big Books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just finishing A World of Curiosities on audio today! Just in time for the last day of Big Book Summer :) I also enjoyed it very much and also liked seeing how Jean Guy and Armand met. This was a dark, creepy one, but as always, super-twisty and kept me guessing! I didn't think of looking at the actual painting until I saw your post, so thanks for that. It really is a fascinating painting. Congratulations on finishing another Big Book!

    Sue
    2023 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete