Saturday, February 03, 2024

Bruno's Cookbook: Recipes and Traditions from a French Country Kitchen


As I have shared in more than one post, I am a big fan of Martin Walker's crime series featuring Bruno Courrèges, policeman of fictional St. Denis, a small village in the Dordorgne in France. More than a policeman, Bruno is completely comfortable in the kitchen, and every book features several occasions in which Bruno prepares wonderful meals for his friends and colleagues. The mysteries themselves are usually pretty interesting, but honestly, it's the food and the cooking, gardening, harvesting, canning, and foraging that are the real reasons I love these books.

For Xmas, my husband gave me a copy of Bruno's Cookbook: Recipes and Traditions from a French Country Kitchen, written by Martin Walker and Julia Watson. I am slowly reading the cookbook, not only for the recipes but for the anecdotes, excerpts from the books, and insights into life in the French countryside.

The book is organized differently from most cookbooks--each section focuses on the source of the type of food featured, so the first section is on the vegetable plot and market, so there are recipes for haricots verts (green beans), Sarlat-style fried potatoes, leek/potato/sorrel soup, and a red onion tarte tatin, which I am dying to make, among lots of other tasty veggie dishes. 

There are also sections for the fisherman (Walker and his fictional Bruno live along a river and just a couple of hours from the Atlantic), the hunter (featuring duck, goose, pigeon, boar, etc.), the butcher, the cheesemaker and dairy man, the baker, the forager (truffles, anyone?), and the all-important winemaker, which has wines, liqueurs, as well as entrees and desserts cooked in wine.

It's a very snowy day in Colorado today, and I am thinking that I need to jump ahead and read about Pot Roast Chicken Henri IV-Style. That just might be what's for dinner tonight.

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read if you are a fan of the series. Thanks for sharing your link with Weekend Cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of doing one post a month on cooking/food. I'll be checking back with you at the beginning of each month to see what you've been baking.

      Delete
  2. What a fun concept to create a cookbook out of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Given the character's penchant for cooking, a cookbook was a natural. I also have a cookbook inspired by Donna Leon's Guido Brunetti and Venice.

      Delete
  3. What a thoughtful present. I gave the first in that series to my mother and I am not sure she has read it yet. Usually I read before I wrap but I must have run out of time - I clearly need to borrow it back from her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to love about this series--I am currently on book #7 and the Dordogne region of France is rapidly moving up on my must-visit list.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane. It sounds like a really good recipe book and I have heard good things about the Martin Walker series as well. Stored in my kindle is the book Julie and Julia by Julie Powell in which the author vowed to cook every recipe in Julia Childs' classic book on French cooking within a year and did it. I could never do something that ambitious but I like the concept of beginning the year with a project and completing it by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Julie and Julia book when I read it years ago, and I've watched the movie a few times, and I was inspired to get my own copy of vol 1 of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but I've only ever made a few things out of it. Good to have on the shelf though :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds like fun! I've heard great things about the Bruno mystery series, though neither my husband nor I have tried one yet. This seems like a wonderful extension of the series.

    Sue
    Book By Book

    P.S. I couldn't comment from my usual Firefox browser and had to switch to Safari.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know who anonymous was this time! Those browsers mess me up to sometimes!

      Delete
  6. What a delightful gift! Martin Walker's crime series featuring Bruno Courrèges sounds not only intriguing for the mysteries but also for the culinary adventures of Bruno.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've gotten me interested in reading his books! I'm sure I would enjoy the cookbook that sounds so unique based on his books. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pot roast seems particularly great in a snowstorm. The cookbook seems well organized and like it had a lot of appetizing dishes. Vive la France!

    ReplyDelete