Sunday, January 28, 2024

Demon Copperhead - Barbara Kingsolver

My last book of 2023, and it was another solid gold 5-star read.

So what did I love about it? I loved how Barbara Kingsolver was both true to her source material, David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, and true to herself as a writer with Southern roots and something to say.

Since David Copperfield is one of my favorite Dickens's novels, it was fun to see how she adapted the characters and plot points to fit modern-day rural Virginia. It's a little weird to say the book was fun to read because there is so much tragedy and heartbreak in both stories, but Demon is such a fabulous first-person narrator who has a strong voice, deep survivor instincts, and a big heart that in the end the book was satisfying and left me with a bit broader perspective.

I started this post weeks ago but then felt bogged down because I didn't know what I really wanted to say other than Demon Copperhead is Kingsolver's tour de force

Oh yeah, I just remembered something I did want to share--because I know David Copperfield so well, I did stop reading Demon for about a week in the middle because I knew the arc of Emmy (Little Em'ly from David) and didn't want to read this sad part right before Christmas. I ended up finishing it just after Christmas, and this part wasn't as horrific as I anticipated (still rough, but it could've been a lot worse).

One more thing--if you ever have any doubts about how opoid addiction became a major destructive force in our society, read Demon. Even if you don't have doubts, Demon Copperhead is a fabulous book that pays tribute to a fabulous book and shows how great literature gives us stories that transcend time and place.


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for a wonderful review. I like Kingsolvers writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane, glad you liked Demon Copperhead. I haven't read it but I have heard great things about it. First person narration not easy to do particularly if the book is long as I believe Demon Copperhead is. And though it tracks the storyline of David Copperfield !Kingsolver also deals with serious contemporary issues, the opioid crisis. Wondering if Demon
    Copperhead includes a Miss Betsy character. Edna Mae Oliver so good in the role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that 1st person is tough but both Demon and David are recounting their story and remembering their childhood and adolescence so the voice can be that of an adult throughout. Yes, there is definitely a Betsy Trotwood character with Mr. Dick and his kites. In fact, I'm hard pressed to come up with any Copperfield character that isn't in Copperhead.

      Delete
  3. I thought this book was excellent, but definitely tough to read at times... so brutally real! David Copperfield is still on my tbr list and I'm hoping to read it while Demon Copperhead is still relatively fresh in my mind. Thanks for the reminder and the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it's quite a journey the book. But it ends hopeful right? With Angus. I believe you're right ... the best thing about the novel is Demon's voice and following him through thick & thin. So many hardships. I had to go back and read my review to recall details but it is still quite vivid to me. It is definitely the author's tour de force. Glad you found it so. Here is what I said: https://www.thecuecard.com/books/copperhead-again/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to your review...heading there now!

      Delete
  5. Awesome review, Jane! I've only heard good things about this novel. Kingsolver is such a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree on all counts! This was such an amazing book. And you're right - in spite of the often-dismal circumstances, it was fun! Demon was just such a wonderful narrator. It was outstanding on audio - the narrator was perfect and completely embodied the character. The parallels to David Copperfield were fun to spot (yes, except for poor Emmy - I saw that coming, too). So glad you enjoyed this!

    Sue
    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Demon Copperhead was amazing. I did feel like I had a lot more insight into opioid addiction, and it made me so sad because I liked Demon so much. I'm glad you loved it. Now if you want a much more fun take on DC, I recommend The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation--I will check out the Uriah Heep book.

      Delete