Friday, August 19, 2022

Mid-August Roundup - Reading, Walking, Learning

Dog days of summer--lots of rain in Colorado (hurrah!), a bit cooler weather, still no tomatoes. What's up with that? But don't you love my sunflower garden? The teddy bear sunflowers are finally coming out, and they are adorable!

Lots of walking. I've been closing my circles on my Apple Watch every day since Jan 1, and accomplished the July challenge (average 60 minutes of exercise per day), and I 'm track to do the August challenge (average burn 668 calories from exercise per day). Am I proud of this? You bet!

In addition to reading, I've been listening to Great Courses on Audible. Here's what I've listened to so far:

  • The Vikings, by Kenneth Harl - a 36-lecture course on the history and impact of the Vikings in medieval Europe. Absolutely, wonderful. The net-net is that Harl believes that the Viking raids, settlements, and assumption of power in certain areas was a major force in shaping Christian Europe. The Normans who invaded England in 1066 were essentially Vikings who had settled in Normandy and took control of the area. I did not realize that!
  • A History of Hilter's Empire, by Thomas Childers - a 12-lecture course that outlined the development of the Nazi party, its rise and fall. Again, incredibly interesting.
  • World War II: A Military and Social History, by Thomas Childers - I am just over half-way through this 30 lecture course. While I am getting more comfortable with the chronology and key points of the war in Europe, I am getting information that is largely new to me about the war in the Pacific and North Africa and the southern Mediterranean.
So why all this learning about WWII? My daughter and I are planning a trip to Germany in March/April. Because we are both interested in WWII, we want to visit a lot of the museums and historical sites from that time and the Cold War, so I wanted to do some pre-trip learning. I am also learning some German via Duolingo.

Now on to what I've been reading. 

The Midcoast, by Adam White - we're headed back to Maine for 10 days in September, so I wanted to read another novel set in Maine, and I saw this on a few blogs and thought I would give it a try. It was a solid 4-star novel, a debut novel, set in a very small town in Maine with an interesting story. Basically, the main character, Andrew, is a lot like Nick in The Great Gatsby in that he observes the rise and shattering fall of a family and how the facade of money and power can crumble when pushed even a little. The main character is an observer, not a player, without having much of a storyline himself. Not sure how this novel is doing overall in the market, but I think it could definitely use a better title, which I found dull and not enticing at all.


City of Vengeance, by D.V. Bishop - this is the first in a mystery series set in 16th century Florence and featuring Cesare Aldo, an officer working for the criminal courts in Florence, which bascially makes this a cop mystery. Absolutely loved the setting and Cesare is a great character with lots of potential for future stories. The writing was good and the mystery was interesting. Will definitely read the second in the series. Interestingly, I thought at the beginning of the book that it was going to be a take on The Merchant of Venice, as the first section deals with a gruff Jewish moneylender and his wayward daughter. The story didn't end up paralleling Merchant at all, but I was afraid we were straying into stereotypical grounds. Glad the author pulled back and told his own story without riding on Shakespeare's coattails. At 416 pages, this books squeaks under the wire to qualify for the Big Book Summer challenge.


The Diamond Eye, by Kate Quinn - WOW! I loved this book about a female, Russian sharpshooter during WWII. Not quite as good as The Rose Code, but wonderful nevertheless. I especially enjoyed the first part of the book, where Mila (aka Lady Death) is learning to be a soldier and developing her leadership skills (she eventually commands a platoon). The second part of the book deals with her visit to the US, Canada, and Great Britiain to drum up support for the US to aid the Allies and fight the Nazis. Mila Pavlichenko was a real person who wrote a memoir about her time in the Red Army and her trip to the US. The Author's Notes at the end is critical to enjoying/understanding the book, in my opinion, as she explains that 90% of the characters in the book are real people, and the only parts that she really fabricated were the larger story of Mila's estranged husband and the stalker who is trying to kill Roosevelt while she is visiting the White House. I particularly loved Mila's relationship with Eleanor Roosevelt, of whom I am a big fan! Reading this book while listening to the WWII Great Courses lectures was a perfect pairing.

Clocking in at 435 pages, this book also qualifies for the Big Book Summer challenge


Hope everyone has a good rest-of-August and happy reading, walking, and learning!

10 comments:

  1. I hope you and your daughter have a great trip. Kate Quinn is a writer I have been hearing about. I think I might just try the Rose Code.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh--Do I ever have a lot to comment on with this rich post! I have always been fascinated by World War II--simply all of it. Lifelong have read lots of histories, historical fiction, fiction published during that era, etc. And have always wanted to do a WWII tour of Europe, which would include lots of sites in Germany, in addition to The Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam and the Normandy beaches and Bergen-Belsen or Dachau (Germany). So best wishes planning and traveling!

    I'm so glad you have found The Great Courses to be so worthwhile. My listening skills, especially retaining what I listen to, is a weak point for me, so I've always gravitated toward books and documentaries with lots of photography.

    I thought Kate Quinn did a stupendous job of research with The Diamond Eye. I loved it and was quite impressed with it. I strongly criticized her first few WWII attempts. So many historical inaccuracies that I just couldn't bear to read her. But this one amazed me. Quinn has really hit her stride, and I hope she continues.

    By the way, I've been fascinated by recent scholarship on the Vikings that has reconfigured earlier views of their influence on history. This, too, has been a life-long fascination for me.
    ENJOY MAINE! My husband grew up in Maine, so we've traveled all over, but my favorite spot is Monhegan Island, 12 miles off the coast--the most dramatic views on the hike around this incredible island. Not as crowded as Acadia, but even considering its smaller size, has equally dramatic views and hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your profusion of sunflowers. We planted only 3 seeds but got a whole bunch of flowers. We were surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. September is the perfect time to visit Maine! I'm trying to convince my husband that since we're (relatively) close now, we should try to get up there before returning to Florida. It's one of my favorite book setting, too, and The Midcoast is on my list. That title is sadly uninspiring...

    I loved The Rose Code, but haven't gotten back to Kate Quinn yet. The Diamond Eye sounds very good. My sister keeps recommending The Alice Network.

    Good for you closing all those circles! I was walking a lot, too, until I somehow managed to sprain my foot Thursday. Now I'll have to take it easy for a couple weeks... and cut down on food, too. Ugh!

    Your sunflowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane --such lovely flowers and BTW, loved your Instagram moose pic as well. I enjoyed Midcoast, a darker theme but, thought it was good. The Diamond Eye was very good too IMO. I still need to read Rose Code. September or very early October is lovely in Maine. Enjoy your getaway. It's hard ever to have too much of Maine - in person or in books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finishing two Big Books, Jane! Sounds like you are having a wonderful summer, including your reading. I have wondered about Great Courses - sounds like you've picked some really good ones - glad you're enjoying them. Both of your upcoming trips sound great. Maine is one of my favorite places :) Enjoy!

    Sue
    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listened to that Vikings course with Kenneth Harl years ago and totally loved it! There's another one Great Courses does on Egypt with Bob Brier that's also really good if you're ever in the mood for tombs, pharaohs and mummies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, Lark. I am always in the mood for tombs, pharaohs, and mummies!

      Delete
  8. I've got a copy of The Diamond Eye, and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the exercise challenge. I read the Midcoast novel too and thought it was all right ... some intrigue as it goes along. Enjoy your time in Maine.

    ReplyDelete