- Peel and dice medium yellow squash. I didn't grow zucchini this year, but I think it would work just as well.
- Peel and dice 1-2 Japanese eggplants. They're small, so just have roughly equal amounts of squash and eggplant.
- Dice any other veg you have on hand--last time I threw in some bell pepper, but I didn't have any this time; carrots are also good.
- Core, halve, and thinly slice one medium to small jalapeno pepper (or omit if you don't want the heat).
- Peel, smash, and chop 3-4 cloves of garlic.
- Saute the vegetables in olive oil and season with salt and pepper, onion powder (or add diced onions), oregano, and thyme.
- Add 1 14.5 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes with their juice. I don't have any homegrown tomatoes yet, but I'm eager to sub them in when I do.
- Add juice of 1 lemon.
- Add diced cooked bacon and/or sausage. I had some leftover from Sunday breakfast and it adds a nice depth of flavor as well as protein, but going meatless is certainly an option.
- Let simmer 5 minutes or so.
Try to limit yourself to one bowl of this incredible goodness at a time!
This sounds yummy! And I do have a lot of zucchini this year that I could try in it. :)ReplyDelete
I would try this if someone made it for me but wouldn't have thought to put it all together (and in my family there is never any leftover bacon).ReplyDelete