Sunday, March 27, 2022

March Roundup


With April literally just around the corner, arriving mid-week, it's time to give some mini-reviews of my March reading.

Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - most definitely a 5-star novel from 2013. This is the story of Ifemelu, a young woman from Nigeria who immigrates to the US as a college student and then returns to Nigeria after 13 years. I listened to the audio of this book and recommend it as I think hearing the accents and the cadence of the dialogue enriched the experience for me. The stories of Ifemelu and her friends, family, lovers, and co-workers were powerful and eye-opening and consciousness raising, but they also provided connection points for someone like me, who knows little outside my own little sphere, to recognize feelings and emotions that I can relate to. Loved this book and have found myself thinking about it a lot after finishing it.

Adichie's website is definitely worth visiting: https://www.chimamanda.com/welcome/

In particular, I loved seeing Ifemelu's blog, which features prominently in her life in the US and when she returns to Nigeria. 

Three Junes, by Julia Glass - an interesting novel that provides two short stories and one longer story from within a single family. The first story is about a man on a tour of the Greek islands shortly after the death of his wife. The middle, longer story is about one of his sons and the issues and traumas of his life. And the final short story, is still about the son but a bit later. This is all rather vague because I don't want to give spoilers, but it is a poignant look at the tragedy of AIDS. I cannot say I loved the book, but it was interesting and well-written and I'm glad I read it.

Quietly in Their Sleep, by Donna Leon - this was a reread of #6 in Leon's fabulous Guido Brunetti series that takes place in Venice. I am rereading the series and enjoying every step of the way as Guido walks through Venice, solving crimes and dealing with the intricacies of life in Venice. This one involved assisted living facilities, nuns, and Opus Dei. Needless to say, it was great.

After listening to Americanah, I was at a loss for what to listen to next as I have a couple of books on hold at the library and I think my turn at them is coming soon. I scanned my library of Audible titles on my phone and discovered that I have a Great Courses lecture series on the Early Middle Ages, taught by Philip Daileader, of the College of William and Mary. What a treat! Part I was all about the decline and fall of the Roman Empire, and now I'm into Part II and hearing about the rise of Islam and the rise of the Carolingian dynasty in France. I am absolutely loving it. I enjoy reading historical fiction about the Middle Ages and I am gearing up to read a bio of the Medici family, so getting some good grounding in the backstory will pay off in understanding down the road.

4 comments:

  1. I've read several books by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and, always enjoyed her writing. I'll have to add this to the TBR since you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Americanah is another book I've been meaning to read for years! I really need to move it to the top of my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have Americanah waiting on my kindle and want to read it this year... will take your advice and at least make it a read/listen combination. I love listening to a Nigerian accent!

    I remember reading Three Junes years ago... maybe a decade. It was a three-star book for me, but I liked it enough to read another of her books, The Whole World Over. If I remember correctly, it contained a cameo appearance from a Three Junes character.

    The Great Course lecture series are so well done! We've listened to several of them over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I read Americanah in 2016 and liked it -- I thought it had much food for thought in it. Enjoy the Great Courses lectures -- they sound fantastic. Happy spring.

    ReplyDelete