Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Spell the Month in Books: October

Reviews From the Stacks


This is my first time playing along with Spell the Month, hosted by Reviews from the Stacks. This month's twist is to pick books from your favorite genre. Since I am a long-time classics reader, I had lots on my Read shelf to choose from.

O is for Of Mice and Men by one of my favorite authors, the incomparable John Steinbeck. I first read it in high school, but I've read it a few times since and cried every time.

C is for Cannery Row, also by Steinbeck and a truly lovely story that I have read many times.

T is for A Town Like Alice, by Neville Shute. I've read this three times and loved it each time.

O is for Oliver Twist by Mr. Charles Dickens -- my first Dickens and one I have reread many times.

B is for The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton -- unfinished but a wonderful story about American heiresses marrying English lords.

E is for Emma by the one and only Jane Austen. How could I not have an Austen on this list, and Emma is definitely in contention for Austen at her peak.

R is for Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, the grand dame of psychological thrillers. I first read this as a young teenager and have read it countless times since then.



No comments:

Post a Comment