Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

Great Expectations is one of those books that I read so long ago that rereading it is like reading it for the first time. I remembered the basic outline of the story and most of the main characters, but all the minor characters and the threads of their stories were fresh and interesting and enhanced the overall experience.

As the first-person narrator of the story, it is difficult not to see in Pip elements of Dickens's own story, personality, and personal issues. Like Pip, Dickens's childhood was marked by economic stress, and he was ashamed of the fact that he went to work at a young age in what he felt was a demeaning job. I see in Pip an attempt by Dickens to work through his own experience of feeling ashamed of his roots but also proud of the fact that he was able to be successful through sheer hard work and innate talent. Pip comes across as arrogant and insensitive despite recognizing that he is being unkind and disrespectful of his dear uncle, Joe, and I think it was essential for Dickens to require Pip to lose his fortune and have to work his way back into solvency and respectability.

What's interesting about Pip's great expectations is that he always feels that he is not worthy of them. When he thinks that his benefactor is Miss Havisham, he can come up with no better reason for her generosity than earmarking him for Estella, which he never seems to quite believe. When he discovers that Magwitch is his actual good fairy, he loathes the idea, knowing that he didn't help Magwitch out of love for his fellow man but because he was too scared to do anything but help him. The great good fortune that lands in Pip's lap is never welcome, and the only thing he is really grateful for is that it enables him to help his good friend, Herbert Pocket, get a leg up on his career.

In fact, Pip's generosity towards Herbert reminded me of Dickens's own philanthropic endeavors. He was always trying to find some deserving soul on which he could help along in life. Partly out of guilt, I think, at his own incredibly good fortune (that blossomed due to his incredibly hard work). I know I am guilty of psychoanalyzing without a license, that's where my mind goes when I read anything by Dickens.

Another angle is that in Pip, Herbert Pocket, and Wemmick (the law clerk with whom he becomes friends), Dickens has created different versions of himself or is showing different facets of himself. Both Herbert and Wemmick have really loving and satisfying relationships with their girlfriends and both end up happily married at the end of the story. When he was writing Great Expectations, Dickens had separated from his wife and was even trying to have her institutionalized. I find it interesting that Dickens didn't give Pip a loving wife at the end, but let two alter egos live out their days in that way.

Speaking of Wemmick, I absolutely love this character, expecially his relationship with his "aged parent" and the castle with moat and all the trimmings that he fashions out of their modest home. Again, Wemmick is like Dickens in having a split personality--a driven, even ruthless, person at work but a loving and fun-loving person at home. 

In the end, I really cannot think about this novel without thinking that Dickens was examining his life and soul in the writing of it, and that he found himself wanting.

This is the second big book I have completed for the Big Book Summer Challenge 2023.










w


9 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, Excellent review of Great Expectations. In fact I wish I had this review a few years back when I read this novel. I would have gotten much more out of this book. So far I have read two Dickens' novels Great Expectations and A Christmas Carol. Neither book grabbed me the way I hoped but I am not giving up. I have two more Dickens' novels I want to try: Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend and maybe as your review points out knowing more about Dickens himself can be an entryway into his great novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a few movie versions of this one, but have never read the book. I'm not a huge fan of Dickens even though I did really like A Tale of Two Cities. Congrats on checking off another read in your Big Book Summer Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing another Big Book! Great Expectations is my favorite Dickens novel - I just love the humor in it. My husband recently read it (for the first time) based on my recommendation. Your insights and thoughts were really fascinating - I don't know anything about Dickens' own life ... though I have heard the David Copperfield is semi-autobiographical. Thanks for the thoughtful review! You left your link in the Sign-Up list rather than the Reviews & Updates list on the Big Book Summer page. I used to be able to move misplaced links myself, but now Inlinkz requires a sign-in. So, you can delete it from the first list and add it to the second, if you want to, so more people will find it ... but it's not a big deal :)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up about my mistakenly putting the review in the wrong place. I think I did that last year too! I deleted the mistake and posted the review in the right place :)

      Delete
  4. It's been so long since I read Great Expectations that I'd probably only remember the broadest plot outline, too. I do remember how much I loved it though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your review. Ashamed to say I've only read Hard Times and A Christmas Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this just a few years ago and enjoyed it. I hadn't realized what a humanitarian Dickens was until reading the essay about him in Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead this year.

    Here is my most recent big book I Have Some Questions for You

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite Dickens--I've read it several times. Isn't it wonderful? Pip really does do some bad things--he's terrible to Joe--and I agree: Dickens is looking at himself and finding himself wanting.

    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been my favorite Dickens novel but I've only read a few. Like you, it's been a long while since I read it and need to do a reread. The whole story is interesting to me and the heartbreak in it. Pip and Miss Havisham are iconic characters.

    ReplyDelete