Sunday, October 31, 2021

RIP Roundup


I had a particularly good RIP this year, one might say I had a RIP roaring time! I completed six and a half mystery books in Sept/Oct and had a marvelous time doing so.

Started Early, Took My Dog, by Kate Atkinson - #4 in her Jackson Brodie series, I loved this, of course, as the setting (north of England and Scotland), the characters, and the writing are all superb. Very interesting with an unresolved ending. I am hoping Tracy Waterhouse surfaces in this next book.

A Tiding of Magpies, by Steve Burrows - #5 in his Birder Murder mysteries. These are always interesting with good characters and good settings.

The Guest List, by Lucy Foley - absolutely terrific. All the hype wasn't far off the mark, and I really enjoyed this page-turner. Definitely channeling Lord of the Flies in this variation on the classic locked room mystery with all the suspects and victim being on an island off of Ireland. Now, I am eager to read Foley's next book, The Hunting Party.

The Long Call, by Ann Cleeves - #1 in Cleeves latest series. Really enjoyed it--Matthew Venn shows great promise as the starring detective with plenty of family baggage for the long haul. Love the small town setting and the bird references.

Thornyhold, by Mary Stewart - I'm a Mary Stewart fan and Lark of Lark Writes recommended it as terrific, and it was! A wonderful good witch story with romance and magic wrapped in a comfortable package. 

Jane and the Waterloo Map, by Stephanie Barron - my JASNA bookclub has invited the author to our November meeting and so I wanted to read one of her more recent books in the Jane Austen mystery series. This was enormously fun with a spunky Jane and I enjoyed her visits to Carleton House (this is during the time when she was reviewing proofs of Emma) and the mystery itself and the characters it involved were all interesting. I love maps and watercolors, so this was just all around perfect.

Final book, half way finished, is Witch Elm, by Tana French. This might actually be the best read of the season--so good. I really cannot predict how it is going to work out.

Happy Halloween!




 

6 comments:

  1. You did read a lot of good books for this year's R.I.P.! And I'm so glad you enjoyed Thornyhold. Gotta love Mary Stewart. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read some interesting ones for RIP. It was fun to participate. I read 12 but only a few of those actually wowed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! Glad you enjoyed Lucy Foley. I thought The Guest List was great, then ended up thinking The Hunting Party was even better. I'd like to read something by Ann Cleeves, too. Was considering this latest series, or possibly the Vera Stanhope series. We'll see. You can never go wrong with Mary Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been such a long time since I've read a Mary Stewart! Can't remember a single plot, but remember how much I enjoyed them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I need to get to these Lucy Foley novels. Everyone seems to be loving them. I must be living under a rock. Thanks for the report on your list ... quite a few look good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, that is a nice list of books! I too love the Jackson Brodie series. My favorite is #3. I also really enjoyed The Witch Elm. I like Tana French's slow burn mysteries. I need to read her most recent novel but haven't managed to pick it up yet.

    Lucy Foley isn't my cup of tea unfortunately. I read The Hunting Party last year. I think my expectations might have been too stratospheric.

    ReplyDelete