Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Beekeeper's Apprentice



I had heard good things about The Beekeeper's Apprentice, by Laurie R. King, but had a few reservations--the combination of which meant I got a copy for my TBR pile but kept finding other books that I wanted to read more.  Thank goodness for the R.I.P. reading challenge and my decision to read a bunch of mysteries from my pile, because it was great and I'm eager to read more in the series.

The basic idea is that Sherlock Holmes has retired to a quiet country life in Sussex, keeping bees, and we find him in 1915 in his early 60's pottering around the countryside.  Enter Mary Russell, age 15, who is basically a younger, female version of the great detective. They strike up a friendship and he takes her under his wing, teaching her to use her logical brain, acute powers of observation, etc.

Holmes is the beekeeper, Mary (aka Russell) is the apprentice.

Mary grows up, attends Oxford, and the pair team up to solve a wonderful mystery--someone keeps on trying to blow up Holmes, Mrs. Hudson, Watson (aka "Uncle John" to Mary), and, of course, Mary herself.

The story has everything--a bit of London, a bit of English countryside, a side trip to Palestine, Oxford, Moriarty (dead though he is), baffling clues, an endearing child, clueless Americans, lots of tea and sandwiches and pipe smoking, a touch of opium, chess, a good intriguing backstory for Mary.

The premise has plenty of room for a good series, and the chemistry between Holmes and Russell is strong, believable, and complex.

A thoroughly enjoyable romp with a pair of enjoyable, interesting characters.

There's some fun fan art out there featuring Holmes and Russell. Here are a couple of my favorites.




That's number three in the R.I.P. reading challenge for me so far!


13 comments:

  1. Hey, you are doing great at the RIP challenge! I read this book ages ago but haven't managed to pick up the second in the series yet. I thought that Russel did a really good job on the mysteries in the book...they could have been written by Doyle IMO.

    Love the inclusion of the fan art! This series does have a lot of loyal fan(atics)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! One of my fave series. I have read (and enjoyed) about 6 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have heard good things about this book. It sounds very good. I actually would want to read more of the original stories by Arthur Conan Doyle before I moved on to this however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think one's enjoyment of this series is enhanced by knowing the Holmes canon well.

      Delete
  4. This has also been on my TBR for the longest time. I own, I think, the first three but still haven't started. I am glad to hear that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forget now what I read by Laurie King but I remember being impressed and I want to read more of what she has written. My only reservation is can you have Holmes without Watson or Watson in a diminished role?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watson is there but definitely in a diminished role. Mary is more of a partner than a foil, as Watson was.

      Delete
  6. I like the relationship between Holmes and Russell, too. This is the only one in the series that I've read, but I really want to read the others. Soon, I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started this series when it was pretty new, so I've been able to keep us as new books have come out. It continues to be very good, and King has fun playing around with settings and bringing in new characters from literature and history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delightful--glad to hear the series hold up over time.

      Delete
  8. I'm game for most everything with beekeeping in it, LOL. It sounds like it would make a good series, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would enjoy this one a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to try this author, but for some reason I think she has a series going so I need to check out her oldest books first. Hope you had a nice weekend Jane.

    ReplyDelete