Sue of Book by Book reminded me of her annual Big Book Summer Challenge and I'm glad she did because I enjoy this challenge so much, being a lover of chunkster books.
The Details:Hey, it's summer, so we'll keep this low-key and easy!
- Anything over 400 pages qualifies as a big book.
- The challenge runs from Memorial Day weekend (May 27) through Labor Day weekend (Sep 5).
- Choose however many big books you want as your goal. Just 1 is fine!
There's also a Goodreads group to sign up for the challenge, post updates, and show which Big Books you are reading! I love Goodreads groups.
And, there's a Big Book Giveaway at the end of summer.
Help spread the word on Twitter with #BigBookSummer (you can follow Sue at @suebookbybook).
So now to the nitty-gritty...what am I going to read for the challenge? Trouble is, I just finished Roots, am close to finishing Dragonfly in Amber, and am already working on Centennial. All books that clock in at well over 400 pages but started well before Memorial Day. Luckily I have lots of big books on several 2016 reading lists to choose from.
Not sure how many I will finish, but from my TBR Pile Challenge list, here are the candidates:
- Blonde, by Joyce Carol Oates
- The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton
- A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini
- Time and Chance, by Sharon Kay Penman
From my Back to the Classics Challenge list, here are some possibilities for the summer:
- The Custom of the Country, by Edith Wharton
- The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope
- Behind a Mask by Louisa May Alcott
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- Salem Chapel by Mrs. Oliphant
And then, of course, there are the new books that haven't distracted me from my reading lists but are sure to!
Happy summer reading and join me in the Summer Big Book Challenge!