Monday, August 15, 2011

Mailbox Monday


Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that
came into their house last week and explore great book blogs. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

This month Mailbox Monday is being hosted by Staci at Life in the Thumb. If you want to play along, visit Staci’s blog today and add your link … you’ll also find links to other readers’ mailboxes there.

Here's what entered my house this week, and not just by mail!

Library
I am currently rereading Sweet Thursday and Cannery Row, by John Steinbeck for the Classics Circuit Steinbeck tour, which commenced today. I picked up a few books from the library to read up on both Steinbeck and Cannery Row.

Beyond the Outer Shores, The Untold Odyssey of Ed Ricketts, the Pioneering Ecologist Who Inspired John Steinbeck and Joseph Campbell, by Eric Enno Tamm
- Can't wait to read this. It's back cover proclaims that it is the "first biography of Ed 'Doc' Ricketts--the 'renaissance man of Cannery Row.'"

John Steinbeck, A Writer's Life, by John Tessitore
- I wanted to read a bio of Steinbeck but not one of those exhaustive tomes that recounts every particle of minutia that has been unearthed. Just the facts, ma'am.

A History of Steinbeck's Cannery Row, by Tom Manglesdorf
- This is actually an interlibrary loan, but it looks like a good overview of the decline and fall and rise of Cannery Row in one of my favorite parts of California, Monterey

Borders Going Out of Business Sale
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonson
- So many people whose opinion I value have recommended this book. Can't wait for a break to fit it in. Sure I will love it.

Paperbackswap.com
A Literature of Their Own, by Elaine Showalter
- This book is subtitled "British Women Novelists from Bronte to Lessing"--need I say more?

Rhett Butler's People, by Donald McCaig
- I'm currently rereading Gone With the Wind along with Erin Blakemore, author of The Heroine's Bookshelf, during her Great Gone With the Wind Read-a-long, and I thought this would be a good post read-a-long book. It's gotten some mixed reviews on Amazon, but the favorable ones convinced me that it was worth giving a try. For the record, Scarlett is not on my TBR list.

JASNA Denver/Boulder Lending Library
Our region has an ongoing fundraiser in which members can bring in books to donate and other members can buy them for $1.

Persuading Annie, Melissa Nathan
A modern Persuasion - looks like fun

The Watsons & Emma Watson, Joan Aiken's completion of one of Jane Austen's unfinished novels.
- I've never read anything by Joan Aiken, one of the grand dames of Austen-inspired fiction, and since I like the way The Watsons started, I'm interested in seeing what she did with it.


3 comments:

  1. I read Scarlett when it first came out. I am not so sure that Margaret Mitchell would have had seen Scarlett's life in the same way. I had very mixed emotions about Scarlett when I finished it. I think you are smart to skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Steinbeck - read Cannery Row again a year or two ago. I liked it (more than I did in high school!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! I can definitely recommend Major Pettigrew -- I enjoyed it greatly.

    ReplyDelete