Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Sense and Sensibility Bicentenary Challenge 2011


I always seem to be the last one to the party, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the party while I'm there. Last December, Laurel Ann of Austenprose announced the The Sense and Sensibility Bicentenary Challenge 2011 and I'm only now getting around to signing up for it, now that I have two challenges for it under my belt.

In the proverbial nutshell:
2011 is a celebratory year for Jane Austen and her legion of fans. It marks the bicentenary of her first published novel, Sense and Sensibility. Since 1811, we have been enjoying her romantic, dramatic and witty story filled with divergent characters – the Dashwood sisters: cool, practical Elinor and emotional, impulsive Marianne, and the men in their lives: stoic Edward Ferrars, staid Colonel Brandon and rakish Willoughby. There is much to praise in this novel which has inspired many movie adaptations, book sequels and spinoffs.


I think I will go for the Disciple level (5-8 selections), though I may make it to the Aficionada level (9-12 selections)

What do I plan to do?

☑ Reread Sense and Sensibility
☑ Read The Three Weissmans of Westport, by Cathleen Schine
☑ Rewatch the Ang Lee adaptation, aka the Emma Thompson adaptation
☑ Rewatch the 2008 BBC adaptation
☐ Watch I have Found it (Kandukondain Kandukondain)
☑ Watch From Prada to Nada
☐ Reread Sense and Sensibility: The Screenplay and Diaries
☑ Read Sense and Sensibility (Marvel Illustrated)
☐ Read Willoughby’s Return, by Jane Odiwe
☑ Write S&S-inspired short story for the Jane Austen Made Me Do It competition
☑ Attend the 2011 JASNA AGM in Fort Worth in October

The last two weren't options that Laurel Ann provided, but I felt inspired :)

9 comments:

  1. I am actually going to the JASNA AGM!! I missed last year's meeting in Portland :-( but I'm going this year!! I've already made my hotel reservation. And I had not heard of I Have Found It so thanks for letting me know about it. I may have to sign up for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. S&S is due for a re-read by me in the near future,as is Pride and Prejudice, but I wasn't planning to read it this year. I love the movie, but again, I've seen it several times and wasn't planning on watching it again so soon. I wasn't over-fond of the Andrew Davies version, I much prefer the Emma Thompson/Ang Lee one. Maybe I ought to try some of the other options - I did read your S&S-inspired short story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - I haven't been to an AGM since Seattle in 2001, so I am due for one, and I've heard that the Ft. Worth one should be really fun. We'll have to make sure we meet up.

    Tracy - I was surprise by how much I like the AD version, having thought that the Ang Lee version was the definitive one. Watching them both again will help me decide which one I really prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your last two entries! Very creative! I look forward to all your reviews, especially on the movie adaptions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I ought to give the Andrew Davies version another chance - I just kept comparing it with the Ang Lee version and found it wanting. I so wanted Andrew Davies to do a decent version of Mansfield Park instead of this one.

    Funnily enough, I quite like the Keira Knightly version of P&P - I just view it as being completely unrelated to the Colin Firth one, and can judge it on it's own merits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am listening to Sense and Sensibility on Naxos Audio Books, have just read The Dashwood Sisters Tell All, Willoughby's Return, and The Three Weissmanns from Westport, and will watch Ang Lee's adaptation for the umpteenth time. That places me solidly in the 5-8 selections. Welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I'm about to admit this, but I'm not all that huge of an Austen fan (P&P excluded, of course). I took a class specifically on her works a few semesters ago, and just couldn't seem to jump in to much. However, with it being the bicentennial and all, maybe S&S is just in need of another go! Thanks for the awesome challenge update!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just re-read S&S and, as always, found new layers to admire in it. I read the Schine, but wasn't that keen, although most bloggers seem to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your chosen challenges! I look forward to reading about some of the fruits on your blog!

    ReplyDelete