Saturday, January 01, 2011

Gaskell Reading Challenge



Katherine at the Gaskell Blog is hosting a Gaskell Reading Challenge, and while I am loathe to participate in official challenges because I like the free-wheeling approach to current selections, I am definitely going to participate in this one.

Katherine has made the challenge very easy, requiring only two works be read, with one being a novel.

Since I loved Sylvia's Lovers, and in fact included Whitby in my itinerary on a trip to the UK in 2009 so that I could visit the town in which it was set, I will be rereading SL for the challenge.

There are a few of Gaskell's short stories/novellas that I still haven't read yet, and so will be reading Lizzie Leigh and Uncle Peter as well. I also hope to get my hands on a collection of Gaskell's letters as well.

I also hope to record more of Gaskell's works, particularly the short stories for LibriVox.

A few years ago, I recorded The Grey Woman and really enjoyed the process. Here is the link to the recording if you would like to listen to it.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful opportunity and I think I'll have to take this challenge since I already have Wives and Daughters and North and South (a re-read) on my reading list for this year! Thanks for posting about this!

    ~Miss Laurie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ackk! Just when I'm patting myself on the back for cutting back on challenges comes another one that interests me. Especially if it means I can listen to you reading to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely an easy enough challenge for me! I have already read Wives and Daughters, North and South and Cousin Phillis and other short stories. I still need to finish Cranford. I was wanting to read Sylvia's Lovers or Mary Barton anyway.
    Plus thanks so much for the link to your audiobook. That is so wonderful! I am looking forward to listening to you!
    I must go and sign up. Thanks for letting us know!
    I must go and sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See how enthusiastic I am? I repeated myself! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for joining the Reading Challenge, Jane. :)I must read your recording of The Grey Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not going to participate in this challenge as such, but I will be reading North and South this year for the first time, and many years ago I read Gaskell's biography of Charlotte Bronte.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane - I popped in to say hi and see what this challenge was about. I've been catching up on your blog - I'm sorry I missed all the Jane Austen fun! I was off my blog for a while the past month. Amd I can't join the Jane Austen writing challenge, since I live in Canada. I might just write something anyway to celebrate!

    As for Gaskell - I have been meaning to read North and South since I own the dvd and watch it regularly (I love it!), and lately Cranford has been drawn to my attention, plus I own her biography of Charlotte Bronte. So I not only am saying hi, but am joining this challenge! Happy New Year, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finally found time to read North and South and reviewed it recently. The other book of hers I'm tempted to read is Ruth - any book which horrifies some people so much that they burn copies of it must be worth trying!

    ReplyDelete