Friday, June 19, 2009

None But You


I'm almost ready to start posting on my trip, at least I have the Dublin photos organized, which is half the battle. In the meantime, I wanted to post on the first book in a two-parter that tells the Persuasion story from Captain Wentworth's point of view.

I've been reading Susan Kaye's work online for years now, and it's a real treat to have the final polished version to read and enjoy other than on computer printouts.

None But You, (Frederick Wentworth, Captain: Book 1) tells the story from the time of the Laconia being decommisioned and Wentworth thrown on shore and into Kellynch to the immediate aftermath of Louisa jumping from the Cobb steps and missing Wentworth's arms and being rendered unconscious. The second book in the two-parter, For You Alone (Frederick Wentworth, Captain; Book 2),which I am currently reading finishes the story.

I love Kaye's writing style--crisp, detailed, and immensely satisfying. Her knowledge of the Navy and the life of Navy officers circa 1810 shines through, and she uses it to salt-and-pepper the romance of the story, making it savory instead of coy. I enjoy the rich backstory of Wentworth and his siblings. So often, sequels and retellings merely mirror the original. Susan Kaye presents fully imagined characters that stand on their own. Needless to say, I am completely swept off my feet by her Wentworth.

The only caveat, which I trust is corrected in the second of the two books, is that we don't see enough of Anne Elliot to really get why he never got over her--we hear that she is thoughtful, kind, intelligent, and lovely, but I have yet to see her in action to form my own opinion.



If you love Persuasion, and who doesn't, then I can heartily recommend Susan Kaye's look at the good captain that we all swoon over.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always a little wary of prequels and sequels written by other than the original author - but this one sounds interesting, so thanks - I'll keep an eye out for it.

    I think we see plenty of Anne in action in Persuasion, and compared to all of the other women in the book (The Musgroves, the dreadful Mary, the equally dreadful Elizabeth, and Mrs Clay) Anne really does shine out.

    I love Persuasion, but my book club weren't over-impressed! (Maybe I should have started with P&P)

    ReplyDelete