Tuesday, November 07, 2023

November Bits and Bobs


I've been out of commission for a while, working on the JASNA 2023 AGM in Denver, which was November 3-5, but with tours going out on November 2 and 6 as well. Since I was the regional tour coordinator this year, I've been a bit busy.

The AGM itself was terrific, with my favorite plenary speaker being Janet Todd, who talked about Pemberley and place, Gilpin and fishing, and Austen's ability to be succinct where Fielding and Richardson could not. After the lecture, I promptly went to the Emporium and bought Todd's novel, Jane Austen and Shelley in the Garden, which I hope to read early in 2024.

Other talks of note were Inger Brody's lecture "West of Austen," in which she talked about Owen Wister's incorporation of Austen into his novel, The Virginian, and Rebecca Dickson's discussion of cognitive dissonance and other aspects of the psychology of belief that are a major part of Pride and Prejudice. I also really enjoyed Melanie Hayden's discussion of the various ways Elizabeth Bennet has been adapted in the many retellings of P&P.

Despite all the AGM work, I am happy to report that I did not neglect my reading. 

What Have I Been Reading?


A Gentleman in Moscow
, by Amor Towles - I finally got around to reading this and kept asking the question, what took me so long? It was absolutely terrific. Clearly a 5-star book, not only for the gorgeous writing but for the craft involved in telling such a sweeping story in such a confined space. The ending is so incredibly satisfying that I was moved to tears of joy. 


The Whalebone Theatre, by Joanna Quinn - this is one of those rare books that I bought based on its cover. I was in a bookstore in Blue Hill, ME on vacation in September and was intrigued by the title and cover. I loved it--another 5-star book that has fantastic characters and a riveting story. I loved Cristabel, her half-sister Flossie, and her cousin Digby. I loved watching them grow up, and I loved the people they became. Set in Devon, full of theatrics during the time between the wars, and then focused on WWII and the resistance in France. So good!


That Old Cape Magic, by Richard Russo - another super interesting, poignant novel with great writing, complex characters, and marvelous setting, this time Cape Cod, hence the title. A novel about marriage and how one's parents can affect and influence you even when you think you've left them far behind. Lots to think about in this story.


The Indigo Girl, by Natasha Boyd - a novel about a real woman who almost single-handedly introduced the cultivation of indigo to the American colonies. On the one hand, this was a difficult topic because the economy of the South became so dependent on slavery and so it was hard to cheer for a woman whose work magnified that dependence and the subsequent suffering and inhumanity of slavery. And, like with Gone With the Wind, slavery was softened so that its brutality was not really portrayed. That said, I did like reading about how Eliza Lukas experimented with the indigo seeds she obtained as she, with the help of some of the slaves, figured out how to turn it into a cash crop. 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, Happy to hear about the Jane Austen conference and glad you had such a great time. And Jane Austen and Shelly in the Garden sounds fantastic. I decided to read a bit about the plot and I am putting this book on my TBR list.

    Also at some point I must read A Gentleman In Moscow. Everyone who has read it has raved. And I have Richard Russo's Nobody's Fool and plan to squeeze that in by the end of the year.

    I love the world of book blogging. Talented bloggers introducing us to books we otherwise never would have known about. Thank you Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. The world of book blogging has enriched my own reading life immeasurably. I haven't read Nobody's Fool yet, but that will probably be my next Russo.

      Delete
  2. I've been seeing A Gentleman in Moscow everywhere lately, and as a habit, I usually avoid reading books which creates such buzz. But your short review encouraged me a little, and a satisfying ending is one thing I highly appreciate in a book!

    The Whalebone Theater is also interesting. I would've bought it because of the cover too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice roundup of reads. You have been busy with the conference! Seems like good speakers there. And I have yet to read Towles's Moscow novel which is surprising. But your review gives me impetus. I'm curious about too about the Whalebone novel. I have not heard of it so will check for it. Happy November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Indigo Girl sounds interesting. And I absolutely loved A Gentleman in Moscow! It was a 5-star read for me, too. And I loved that Owen Wister talks about P&P in his book; I read The Virginian a few years ago and really liked it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I tackled A Gentleman in Moscow in spite of the thickness of he book, as I enjoyed it a lot. Very good plot and writing and character delineation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also loved Whalebone Theatre, although thought it was a bit uneven as to time - WWII was sort of squeezed in - but what great characters and sense of place. What dreadful parents! I also loved A Gentleman in Moscow. I liked his other books but found this one incredibly compelling.

    I haven't read any Russo. Whichever one my book group chose years ago didn't interest me but this one might be a better choice. I agree it can be painful reading books set on plantations (see Frances Parkinson Keyes, who is usually focused on the mistreated mistress of the house) - it's hard if the situation is sanitized and also if it is depicted realistically!

    JASNA sounds fun. An acquaintance of mine who was presenting on film (I think) posted on Facebook about the great tour she took so I am sure others were just as pleased. However, I know how much work it all is to put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the WWII part of Whalebone Theatre was shorter than I would have liked, but the overall magic of the story just sucked me. So glad to her your acquaintance enjoyed the JASNA AGM and the tour she took. I didn't get to the breakout on film so I missed her talk--so much to choose from!

      Delete
  7. You've been reading some of my favorites lately! I know I will reread A Gentleman in Moscow one day and you can never go wrong with Richard Russo. I've read most of his fiction (there's an early novel I'm missing) and plan to read his latest, Somebody's Fool, this winter. It's the third in that series... hope I remember enough about the first two.It's been quite a few years. The Jane Austen conference sounds like it was a resounding success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to start the Russo Fool trilogy in January. My husband really likes Russo, so we already have all his books.

      Delete