Monday, January 17, 2022

Elizabeth and Her German Garden

I have been wanting to read this slim book for so long and it didn't disappoint. Elizabeth and Her German Garden is by Elizabeth Von Arnim, an Australian-born author who married a widowed German aristocrat and moved to his family home in what is now Poland. It is basically the journal of a year, from May to April, in which Elizabeth talks some about learning to garden and the joys of being in the garden but digresses into discussions about her babies, visitors, holidays and parties and celebrations, and life in general.

She is humorous, satiric, and thrives on being considered unconventional and eccentric. I found her to be delightful company and found myself constantly looking up names of the plants she was considering for the garden. While I enjoy gardening, this book was quite a tonic and has me eagerly anticipating the spring and digging out old garden plans to revisit projects I have let fall by the wayside.

I found the Wikipedia entry on to be quite interesting as well. 

This was a great way to start the Back to the Classics 2022. A short book, one from the TBR shelf, one that made me anticipate spring in the bleak midwinter, and one whose narrator is someone I like. Now I want to reread Enchanted April

Elizabeth Von Arnim



7 comments:

  1. I love that cover and the story sounds quite nice as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great way to start off your classic reading this year. I've always wanted to read this book because I love Enchanted April so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one... it's been on my list for years, too! Hoping to reread The Enchanted April this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wikipedia entry for her was indeed very interesting, since she became one of those literary ladies with many connections and her own talents. I did not know she also wrote Mr. Skeffington. So The Enchanted April is not her only work that was adapted into a successful film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read this one. Have never read von Arnim's before, but have been hearing good praises of it. It seems perfect for a comfort reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this in 2007 and liked it, so I went on to read Eizabeth of the German Garden, a biography of Elizabeth by Leslie DeCharms, to whom Elizabeth left her personal papers. Also very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I would love to read a bio of Elizabeth--she sounds like such an interesting person. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete