Thursday, April 12, 2018

David Macaulay's Castle and Cathedral Books

Last year my vacation plans involved visiting castles. This year I'm anticipating visiting lots of cathedrals.

Last year I read David Macaulay's Castle - a marvelous, short (80 pages) picture laden book on castle fundamentals, geared for the grade 5-7 reader. I loved it. It was informative, easy to read and understand, and just what I needed to better appreciate visiting castles in general. Macaulay's castle was fictitious but representative.

Last month, I read Macaulay's Cathedral. It was sort of a companion book to Pillars of the Earth, which I read at the same time, and I loved examining the pictures showing how flying buttresses work, how to build a vaulted ceiling, how to support a wall that is mostly stained glass, etc. Again, the cathedral is fictitious but representative and remarkably similar to the Kingsbridge Cathedral from Pillars of the Earth.



Macaulay also has books on City, Pyramid, Underground, Toilet, Mill, and, of course, the How Things Work series. He just might be my new favorite author!

4 comments:

  1. These are fascinating subjects that I would like to know more about. Castles in particular fascinate me. I must visit more of them myself.,

    Pillars of the Earth also sounds like a fascinating book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, If you read Pyramid, is a trip to Egypt then going to be necessary! Hee hee.

    This sounds like the perfect NF companion to Pillars of the Earth and that is great that you will soon be able to use your knowledge as you view Notre Dame (and maybe Chartres?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read this author before - and this is the type of book that I really enjoy as do my kids. I need to check these out and read them with the kids. Thank-you for the lovely review and recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And he does the illustrations too, right? They really are good. Neat books!

    ReplyDelete