Monday, March 26, 2018

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?


First time doing this meme but I read others' posts pretty faithfully and like the format.

Finished this week
Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atchison - I loved A God in Ruins, and was impressed by Time After Time. This is her first novel and spans the twentieth century, chronicling a family in York. Interesting, occasionally funny, often heartbreaking.



Currently reading
Just now starting The Paradise by Emile Zola - another book set in France, another classic, very excited to read it.

Next up for GoodReads Tuesday Read-A-Long group is Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. I don't think I've read--if so, it's so long ago that it doesn't count. Very excited to dive into a great mystery.

Listening to
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - all about building a cathedral in England in the 12th century during the civil war caused by Stephen and Matilda (daughter of Henry I and mother of Henry II). Absolutely loving it and eager to finish it so that I can watch the mini-series.



Also listening to Edith Piaf after watching La Vie en Rose a few weeks ago as well as Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 and Danzon No. 2 by Arturo Marquez, both inspired by Mozart in the Jungle (see below).

Watching
Rewatching Mozart in the Jungle, from the beginning in order to fully appreciate season 4. 



Watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time over the weekend--what an intense, powerful movie..

Two more episodes to watch in the upteenth rewatching of A Year in Provence.

In the kitchen, the garden, etc.
Dug sheep and peat into the raised beds, and planted spinach, lettuce, garlic, leeks, and onions. Trimmed the out-of-control thorny yellow rose bush. Resumed work on my son's quilt after letting it lie dormant since November.

The week ahead
Easter Brunch at my niece's house! 


This post will link to It's Monday, What Are You Reading? hosted by Kathryn at Book Date.

8 comments:

  1. You have some great books coming up. I have not read Zola but I would like to. My wife is a big Agatha Christie fan. Some day I will give her a try too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane, I have read Pillars of tbe Earth which I enjoyed and interesting to read about life in the 11th century where I think the book is set. Ken Follett's newest book I am also interested in featuring the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth I and Mary queen of Scotts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I'll read all of Follett's historical novels. They're fun, interesting, and easy to read/listen to.

      Delete
  3. Jane so happy to have you join us. In reply to your comment on my blog yes have been listening to the podcasts for the West Wing and loving them. Still only on re-watching season 1. I haven't read Kate Atkinson but I do have one of her books on my TBR shelf. Oh you quilt, love hearing that, I have been learning to quilt in the last few years and love it. I have a different blog for that but don't post there often, more a record of what I make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Plot driven books are so easy to listen to when there is a good narrator! And when they are as chunky as Pillars of the Earth, the fact that you don't have to prop them up is a PLUS.

    I love Kate Atkinson. I have read almost all her books. But I still have to read A God in Ruins. I know I will love it, so why do I keep letting other books get in the way? :) I think she is supposed to have a new book out this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read an Agatha Christie book in high school, and I always meant to read another one. I hope you enjoy it. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a couple of days I will be reading Zola too--A Love Story.
    By the way, since you are reading Zola, you may as well join us in #Zoladdiction2018 which I'm hosting on April, if you like.

    The Pillars of the Earth is my favorite historical fiction. I loved Follet's vivid portrayal of cathedral building. The mini series is nice too, though it focuses more on the intrigues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember reading Behind the Scenes at the Museum when it was first released, but have yet to read more Atkinson. Keep meaning to do that...

    The Paradise was a good read and I enjoyed the PBS television series, too.

    Don't think I've read Murder on the Orient Express, but the recent film was very good. There's a highly-rated audio version of the book narrated by Dan Stevens that's on my wish list.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete