Friday, November 11, 2016

Like a Bird on the Wire

Already missing Leonard Cohen, who passed away yesterday at the age of 82.  A poet with the most amazing voice.  I literally grew up listening to him.  His first album came out in 1967, when I was not yet 10, and my older brothers bought it and the ones that followed and played them over and over.  I knew Leonard Cohen songs as well as I knew Robert Louis Stevenson poems and Laura Ingalls Wilder novels.



For me Bird on the Wire was his signature song, but one of my other favorites is Joan of Arc:



Rest in Peace, dear Leonard.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jane for the post. I didn't grow up on his songs but I respect how much he meant to others. Listening to the tunes you've posted. Also the versions & covers I've heard of Hallelujah are pretty amazing. Did you see the Saturday Night Live opening this past weekend? Pretty great. It's sad he's gone. I think Canada is in mourning for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see the SNL opening but now I am going to go look for it.

      Delete
  2. Wow - you really have been a long time fan!

    ReplyDelete