Monday, April 28, 2014

Mailbox Monday - From Scratch


Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.  Visit Mailbox Monday to see what others are reading.

I have watched the Food Network since it debuted 21 years ago (April 19, 1993).  I thought it a brilliant idea then and I still do, though I'm not thrilled with the current obsession with weird competitions that are less about cooking than about "winning."  Anyway, my first faves were "Ready, Set, Cook," "How to Boil Water," and "Too Hot Tamales."



The only book I got last week was From Scratch: Inside the Food Network, by Allen Salkin.  Honestly, I can't wait to read this one.  I'll probably take it with me on a road trip we're doing in May.  I'm sure it will go quickly, be easy to read in small bursts, and totally fun.

I'm not above gossip and I love behind-the-scenes stories.  My biggest regret on my recent visits to NYC is that you can't go to tapings of the shows or get any kind of studio tour.  Forget NBC, I would love to get a tour of the Food Network!

7 comments:

  1. I've got this on my library to read list. I can't wait to read it either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love food books. ENJOY!!

    Behind the scenes things should be good.

    Have a great week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves those shows. I bet he'd enjoy this book. Thanks for sharing! Here’s my MAILBOX this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like a good book. I'm a fan of the Food Network.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this one yet! Does it include recipes?

    I miss the cake challenges. It was always amazing watching people construct those things - and sometimes watching them collapse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know yet, but I'll let you know. BTW, I do subscribe to the Food Network magazine and make a lot out of it each month. Great recipes, tips, and generally interesting info.

      Yes, the cake competitions were always fun. My daughter starts a pastry culinary program in August and I'm eager to see what she learns to make over the next 9 months!

      Delete
  6. I heard an interview with Allen Salkin about this book and it sounds very good.

    I like the food networks cooking shows but I agree with you, I really cannot stand the competition shows.

    ReplyDelete