Monday, May 20, 2013

Lucky Number 6


The Classics Club Lucky SPIN number is 6!


This means I get to read Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier by July 1.



What an absolute treat I have in store.

Here's the Amazon blurb:

Jaded by the numbing politeness of Restoration London, Lady Dona St. Columb revolts against high society. She rides into the countryside, guided only by her restlessness and her longing to escape. But when chance leads her to meet a French pirate, hidden within Cornwall's shadowy forests, Dona discovers that her passions and thirst for adventure have never been more aroused. Together, they embark upon a quest rife with danger and glory, one which bestows upon Dona the ultimate choice: sacrifice her lover to certain death or risk her own life to save him. Frenchman's Creek is the breathtaking story of a woman searching for love and adventure who embraces the dangerous life of a fugitive on the seas.
I read a lot of du Maurier's novels in my teenage years, but somehow never read this one.  Sometimes it's good to hold out on finishing up on an author so that you can have a treat later on!

9 comments:

  1. Number 6 WAS lucky for you - enjoy! The only du Maurier I've read is Rebecca , but was hoping My Cousin Rachel would be my spin book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Cousin Rachel is wonderfully chilling in a way only DDM can achieve. You have to read, spinning or not!

      Delete
  2. This is one of my mom's all-time favorite books. She's been trying to get me to read it for years. Can't wait to hear if you like it as much as she does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like JoAnn, I've only ever read Rebecca - and I can't remember much of that, it was so long ago. Enjoy your spin, I'll look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe I have this one on my shelf. Maybe I'll have to find it and read it at the same time so I have someone to talk to about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! That would be a kick. I would love to have someone to chat with about it.

      Delete
  5. This sounded like such a fun way to pick a book.

    Enjoy this book, it looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started Jamaica Inn the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another one I need to read! Hope it's good.

      Delete