Tuesday, May 14, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros:

Hosted by Diane @ Bibliophile by the Sea


This is my first time doing this meme. 

My selection is from The Ninth Daughter, by Barbara Hamilton.  It's the first in her Abigail Adams mystery series, and I'm about half way through the book now.


     Abigail Adams smelled the blood before she saw the door was open.   
     In November, Boston didn't reek the way it did in summer, especially down here in Fish Street. The coppery blood-stink cut the more prosaic pong of fish-heads and privies from the moment she stepped through the gate into Tillet's Yard, the way the single thread of gore seemed to shriek at her against the gray of the wet morning, trickling down Rebecca Malvern's doorstep.

I'm really enjoying this book, and Hamilton's Abigail seems very authentic--I keep hearing and picturing Laura Linney, who played Abigail superbly in the John Adams mini-series, and who I think got it right!




Thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. WOW...this one gets my attention. Not familiar with the title but I do want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I can smell it from here! Haven't heard of this series, but am curious to learn more... and I still need to watch the mini-series, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot recommend the mini-series too much! Just amazing how well done it is. I've watched it twice and hope to watch it again next winter.

      Delete
  3. Anything concerning this time and place will grab my attention. I really want to read an actual biography of Abigail Adams as she was very interesting and influential person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have Phyllis Lee Levin's bio of AA as well Joseph J. Ellis's First Family, about JA and AA. I hope to read at least one of these later this year.

      Delete