Monday, May 30, 2011

Mailbox Monday...on Tuesday


Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the exciting books that came into their house last week via post. Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists!

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at A Girl and her Books, and is currently being hosted by Mari from Mari Reads for the month of May.


A few new books arrived recently, including The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguo. I have wanted to read this for years, and would love to watch the movie as well, but never owned a copy so now I swear I will carve out time for this book this year.

After I posted about Wallace Stegner's excellent Angle of Repose, many commented that Crossing to Safety was actually their favorite of Stegner's novels, so I had to get a copy. I also pulled his Beyond the Hundredth Meridian off the shelf and added it to the reading pile--I picked it up last time I visited the Grand Canyon, and would really like to read about John Wesley Powell.

Finally, I got my copy of the latest issue of Persuasions, the journal of the Jane Austen Society of North America. It is chock full of fascinating papers (here's the Table of Contents, many about Northanger Abbey, which was the focus of last year's Annual General Meeting. I've already read the first three papers, and plan to read it between major books, sort of like the way I read short stories. Some of the papers are available online here.

Let the summer commence...

3 comments:

  1. We're going to be discussing The Remains of the Day for Bookclub in September - which is handy since it's on my TBR shelf. No, I've never seen the movie, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always heard Angle of Repose is very good. I read Crossing to Safety and liked it. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my copy of Persuasions and haven't had a chance to even crack the spine. Yea for you to start reading it. Hopefully I'll have some time soon.

    ReplyDelete