Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sunday Soup - what is it about Sunday?


Sunday Soup: A Year's Worth of Mouth-Watering, Easy-to-Make Recipes, by Betty Rossbottom, is a perfect cookbook. Focused on a specific kind of food, with easy to follow, delicious recipes, attractive photographs, stellar organization, complete index, and interesting sidebars.

I particularly appreciate the info on prep time, cooking time, recommended accompaniments, and freezing/storing info.

My daughter got this for my husband for Christmas, and we've been working our way through the Fall and Winter soups. We started with the Cold Weather Potato Chowder with Caraway Cheese, which is my new favorite potato soup recipe, and then moved on to the Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Prosciutto and Parmesan, which was so amazingly velvety (must've been the crème fraiche).

My favorite so far is the Tortilla Soup with Chicken, Lime, and Smoked Chilies--I love tortilla soup and order it whenever it is on a menu, but have never made what I consider a good version, until this one. The lime, which I added at the ending, really made this soup. It was good until I added the lime, which made it fantastic. I could live on this alone!

Last Sunday, we had the "Melt in Your Mouth" Beef and Barley Soup, which was hearty, earthy (from the mushrooms), and so tasty. I haven't added barley to soup in awhile, but it was perfect in this soup.

Now, I'm trying to decide between the White Bean Soup with Chorizo and Kale and the Spicy Pork Chili with Cumin Polenta for this Sunday.

What is it about Sunday that makes soup the perfect meal? Well, my theory is that soup really doesn't take much work. You put it together early in the afternoon, let it cook while you relax, and then, voilà, dinner is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment