Wednesday, September 23, 2015

12 Years a Slave


I took a mini-break from Italy to listen to one of the books on my TBR Pile Challenge list, 12 Years a Slave, by Solomon Northup.

Not only was it a fantastic book, I was so surprised to discover that it was an actual memoir, first published in 1854, a year after Solomon Northup was rescued and allowed to return to his family and free status in New York.

I read and was surprised to enjoy Uncle Tom's Cabin a few years ago, and so I couldn't help but compare the two works, published so closely together in time.  While Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel is powerful, you never forget that it is a novel.  Its sentimentality sometimes undermines the message, but Northup's narrative, which is told in a calm but resolute voice, is strengthened by the knowledge that it is not fiction but very sad fact.

I find it surprising and a bit troubling that I never heard of this book before the movie came out.  When I think back to high school required reading lists, this book, which delineates so well the curse that slavery cast over the United States, should definitely be part of every American's education.

Not only is Solomon's story compelling--being a freedman, captured and sold into slavery, set to work on plantation--but it documents how society worked in the 1840's and 1850's, the economic, physical, and agricultural drivers as well as the social and spiritual factors. Absolutely fascinating, and humbling as well. Books like this make you think how you would fare if challenged in a similar way--Solomon Northup is a hero, who balanced a strong will to live, unbreakable bonds of loyalty to his family, and a core of human dignity that wouldn't let him be treated as less than a man without fighting back.

A great book that I wholeheartedly recommend.




9 comments:

  1. I want to read this though I think that it might be a little on the disturbing side.

    It does seem like before the film came out that this book was not on anyone's radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some disturbing scenes and circumstances, but knowing that Solomon survives and is eventually freed (after all it is a memoir and not fiction), makes the rough stuff bearable.

      Delete
  2. I definitely want to read this. I didn't know about it either, before the movie came out. Have you read Roots? I heard that was excellent, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Roots when it was first broadcast in the 1970's, but never read the book, which I would like to do.

      Delete
  3. Oh thanks I have this book waiting for me on my shelf. I hadn't heard of it either until the movie and also think it should be taught in schools. It seems so important. Interesting comparison too between that and Uncle Tom's Cabin. Thanks for the lowdown. I'd like to read both. As a student of history we all should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Tom's Cabin was a much better book than I was expecting... enjoyed it very much several years ago. I'd never heard of 12 Years a Slave until the movie came out, but it's been on my wish list ever since. Never considered the audio version,so will head over to audible now and listen to a sample.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several audio versions. Which one did you listen to?

      Delete
    2. I listened to it on Overdrive, which is a online library service, and the one I picked was narrated by Sean Crisden. I thought he did a fine job.

      Delete