Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top 10 Books so far in 2014



Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is all about favorite books read so far this year.

Disclaimer - my reading lists have pretty much flown out the window this year.  I have been reading more ad hoc than focused, but still having a fruitful, interesting reading year.

Fiction
  1. The Taste of Sorrow, by Jude Morgan - fabulous novel about the Bronte family
  2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer - extremely sad and incredibly moving story about the impact of 9-11
  3. The People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks - wonderful historical fiction that spans several centuries and cultures
  4. Crossing Purgatory, by Gary Schanbacher - pre-Civil War, Colorado-based, powerful story
  5. The Gondola Maker, by Laura Morelli - Venice in the 16th century, artisans and artists

Classics
  1. Dr. Thorne, by Anthony Trollope - midpoint in the Barchester novel series--one of my faves!
  2. The Pickwick Papers, by Charles Dickens - at least my 4th rereading of one of my favorite Dickens novels


Non-fiction

  1. One Summer, America 1927, by Bill Bryson - loved it!
  2. Orange is the New Black, by Piper Kerman - fascinating story of upper middle class white woman and the price she paid for making bad choices
  3. A Little History of Literature, by John Sutherland - read it slowly and savored every chapter

Enjoy your summer (or winter if you're down under) and happy reading!



7 comments:

  1. I listened to One Summer by Bryson on my daily commute a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much goodness here! You know I loved Orange is the New Black, and One Summer is already on my with list. After reading The Warden, I really must continue with the Barchester series. I think Trollope is under-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great selection - I'm happy to see Trollope on your list :) I had the Bryson book out from the library, but I didn't get to it in time & couldn't renew it. I need to put it back on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bunch of great looking books most of which I want to read myself.


    We are about at the same point in the Barchester novels as I have just started Framley Parsonage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I read one a year so you will be done before I even get to Framley Parsonage! Good books :)

      Delete
  5. I really need to make time for Extremely Loud one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best web hosting companies. Reviews, rates, statistics of top hosting companies.
    Find best hosting company at www.HostingCompaniesz.com

    ReplyDelete