Tuesday, October 08, 2024

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Brags or Confessions

I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday in a while, but I loved the idea of this one, so here goes.

BTW, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

Bookish Brags (or Confessions!) (what are you proud of or… not-so proud of in your bookish life?) 

I always say that reading is not a competitive sport, but there are a few things that are braggable...

  1. I have read/watched all of Shakespeare's plays at least once.
  2. I have read all of Dickens's novels at least once.
  3. I read all of Austen by age 21, the novels multiple times.
  4. I started my blog in 2008, and while I haven't been super consistent with my posts, I haven't gone on hiatus since then. I love the book blogging world.
And then there are those things that I must confess...
  1. When I was a teenager--probably 14 or 15 and reading Pride and Prejudice yet again in late June in the skating rink locker room between sessions, a fellow figure skater asked what I was reading. I showed her and she asked why, since school was out of session. I lied and said it was required reading for the Fall semester. In fact, I was reading it because I loved Jane Austen and P&P.
  2. I have sworn off ever trying to read Henry James and Virginia Woolf. I have tried on many occasions, and they are just so much work! And for me, the payoff just isn't there.
  3. I love most of Philippa Gregory's books, even though she plays fast and loose with historical fact, and I always say that historical fiction should not alter facts to suit the story line. But, she just tells such good stories!
  4. I don't like The Princess Bride by William Goldman--I love the movie, but the book left me cold.
So there you have it, true confessions and a couple of self-congratulations!

What are you proud of, and what do you have to confess?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You have read a lot of classics. Yet, out of all that what I got is that you are a fellow skater. Although my skates are of the roller variety. I still skate and even competed a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday!
    Wow, you’ve been blogging a long time. Good for you.

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed that you've read so much Dickens. The only Dickens novel I've read all the way through is A CHRISTMAS CAROL! I do read it every December, though.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Any one of those brags would be an impressive lifetime achievement; you are amazingly well read.

    ReplyDelete