Sunday, May 01, 2016

Juggling



I'm in one of those times where I am reading a lot, enjoying what I'm reading, but in the middle of muliple books, most of which I am purposely reading slowly, and so have nothing to really review.

So here's an update on what I've got in progress...

Dragonfly in Amber - rereading for the third time book 2 in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.  I'm a few weeks ahead of the STARZ broadcast of the TV series, and so far enjoying refreshing my memory as to who's who and how things work in the book.  I have to say that Gabaldon was right to hold out for STARZ--so far they are really staying true to the books in characters and story line.  A few variations, but not much.

Roots - I'm doing a read-along at True Book Addict in anticipation of the new TV series which starts Memorial Day weekend, I think.  I never read this Alex Haley when if first came out in the 1970s, so really enjoying it now.  I just passed the half-way mark and we're still on Kunta Kinte's story.

Bel Canto - this marvelous novel by Ann Patchett is my audio book these days, and it is fascinating. Again, the theme of "everyone has a story" really resonates with me.

The Coming of the Third Reich - first in a trilogy by Richard J. Evans, it is well written and very interesting.  I finally feel like I am getting the foundation I need to understand the 20th century. Reading very slowly--just a section a day--so that I can retain more of the vast amount of info contained in this book.  I plan to read the entire trilogy, but it will take awhile.

The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death... - by John Kelly, the fiction selection for May in the GoodReads Tuesday BookTalk Readalong group.  I am loving it, so interesing--it's a perfect mix of history, science, social history, and geography.

Emma - reading this Jane Austen classic for the upteenth time and loving it all over.  I'm planning to go to the JASNA AGM in Washington D.C. in October, so this is homework!  Reading about a chapter a week, though I will pick up the pace so that I finish by my region's June meeting on Emma.

Onward and Upward in the Garden - this set of essays by Katherine White, wife of Charlotte's Web author, E.B. White, is lovely.  Reading an essay every week or so, I intend to read this all year!  Her analysis of seed catalogs makes me smile and makes me nostalgic for the good old days of printed catalogs.

The good thing about having so many good books underway is that there is always something I am in the mood for, the downside is that I have to choose amongst so many excellent options.

Hope everyone is having a marvelous spring (or fall, if you're down under), and I can't wait to get back to my garden, if it ever stops snowing here in Colorado!


4 comments:

  1. Wow you read a lot of books at once. I have trouble doing that. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Roots; it's been such a long while since that was big. Is it really still snowing in Colorado? Oh my! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bel Canto is amazing, I think. It sounds like you are enjoying it.

    I wonder if "re-boot" of Roots will have the same cultural impact as the original now that T.V. viewing is so dispersed. I was a kid/teenager in the 1970's and EVERYONE I knew watched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about that too--with so many TV options, you don't get the same "everyone is watching this" feeling you did before the 1980s, VCRs, and cable.

      Delete
  3. Nice to be sharing several of these reads with you. I haven't read much in Roots yet, although it is always riveting when I pick it up. Perhaps I will focus better while I'm watching the remake. Also want to finish Dragonfly in Amber, but don't want to create spoilers for myself, since I am so caught up in the telecast now.
    I just learned about the film of Lady Susan, which opened Friday (would like to see it!). Now Kate Beckinsale will have this role and a marvelous Emma to her credit. Have fun at JASNA!

    ReplyDelete