Sunday, September 19, 2021

R.I.P. XVI - Readers Imbibing Peril

 


Not being much for horror, I usually focus on indulging in mysteries and supernatural stuff during the annual R.I.P. spooky reading challenge. This year is the 16th or XVI running of the spooks and here's my lineup for R.I.P. XIV:
  • The Guest List, by Lucy Foley - I've been wanting to read this for awhile, and I picked it up at the cute indie bookstore when I was up in Steamboat Springs a couple of weeks ago.
  • Thornyhold, by Mary Stewart - it's been way too long since I read anything by Mary Stewart, who is always good for a spinechilling tale.
  • Jamaica Inn, by Daphne du Maurier - again, too long since I indulged in a DDM story.
  • A Dance of Cranes, by Steve Burrow - I recently finished book four in the Birder Murder mystery series and am eager to see what happens next!
Speaking of mysteries, I am thoroughly enjoying Only Murders in the Building, starring and produced by Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez. It takes place in NYC and is so much fun, especially the all-star cameos. I think everyone wanted to have a piece of this show.




8 comments:

  1. Thornyhold is such a great book! It's my second favorite book by Mary Stewart. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your recommendation is what made me get the book in the first place.

      Delete
  2. I really had intended to sign up for this the beginning of September...and now we're more than half way through the month! The Guest List will be a good read and you never can go wrong with DDM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some great RIP reads in the works Jane. Enjoy. I've been having fun with this challenge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be curious to hear what you think of The Guest List. I have not read that one yet. But it seems perfect for RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this list! I finished my first RIP read yesterday - Jane Eyre. What a treat as a read/listen combination. My plan is to start Foley's The Hunting Party next. I really enjoyed The Guest List last fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane,Mary Stewart and Daphne DuMaurier are such good choices for the RIP Challenge. I am not much of a horror reader either but then again I do enjoy gothic novels which are a close cousin of horror.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also enjoying Only Murders! My daughter and her boyfriend are also fans, I suspect they wouldn't have watched it without Selena Gomez but I'm delighted that it's introducing a whole generation to the genius of Martin Short and Steve Martin. Haven't decided what to read yet for RIP but I suspect it will be a Wilkie Collins or ME Braddon, some type of Victorian sensation novel.

    ReplyDelete