Monday, January 15, 2018

Tournament of Books - 2018 short list


Here are the 18 books that made it to the short list this year, and here's the link to the official article at the Morning Post.

I would like to read the six I've noted, but will definitely read at least two...by March Madness!

The Animators by Kayla Rae Whitaker - plan to read
The Book of Joan by Lidia Yuknavitch
Dear Cyborgs by Eugene Lim
The End of Eddy by Édouard Louis
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid - a likely winner, so I plan to read

Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin

Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong
Idaho by Emily Ruskovich- definitely will read
The Idiot by Elif Batuman
Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders - a likely winner, so I will try again to read
Lucky Boy by Shanthi Sekaran
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Eganm - definitely will read
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee - would like to read
Savage Theories by Pola Oloixarac
Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward -would like to read
So Much Blue by Percival Everett
Stephen Florida by Gabe Habash
White Tears by Hari Kunzru

This is such a great way to help me choose current titles to read. I'm rarely at a loss as to what to read when it comes to classics, but there is just so much contemporary fiction that I appreciate the help in navigating my way to the best books.

3 comments:

  1. The Tournament of Books is such a neat idea. All or most of these books sound very good. This just adds to the enormous pile of books that I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know what you think of The Animators! It has gotten a lot of love on the TOB group on goodreads and I liked it, but not as much as some others. Idaho infuriated me, so again, I would love to know what you think of it!

    I just finished Pachinko and quite enjoyed it. I think you would like it too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a strong list. I have read 3 of them: Bardo, Exit West, & Goodbye Vitamin -- all of which were okay but I'm wondering if I would like a few of the others more, including Pachinko. Hmm, we'll see. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete