Sunday, February 12, 2017

Potpourri



I like to read multiple books at one time, some audio in the car, some Kindle, some paper, some for online reading groups, some for personal reading projects, some for comfort.

Here's what I'm reading these days.

The Dinner by Herman Koch (Sam Garrett, translator) - for GoodReads TuesBookTalk group.  I voted for the thriller genre and this was the book that the group picked--I think I voted for it too.

The Game of Kings, by Dorothy Dunnett - first in her Lymond Chronicles series.  I think I'm going to love this series--Lymond already reminds me of Lord Peter Wimsey. Part of my Reading Northumberland project.

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari - a birthday gift from my brother Mark, who raved about it. Non-fiction, slow read, by well-written and utterly fascinating.

My Name is Lucy Barton, by Elizabeth Strout - my current audio book and on the shortlist for the Tournament of Books.  I'm really liking this one.

Speaking of Tournament of Books, I finished my first book on the shortlist, We Love You, Charlie Freeman.  I really wanted to like it, and I did in parts, but I just didn't believe in the characters.

The audio book I recently finished was Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death, by James Runcie.  The first in the series of books that the Grantchester TV show is based on.  I thought it was a good book with a great main character and interesting mysteries for the vicar to solve in 1950s Cambridge.

Happy reading!








8 comments:

  1. More Sidney Chambers books in your future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably--it was a bit of a comfort read, a series of short cozy mysteries to bring up longer, more intense books.

      Delete
  2. We are big Francis Crawford fans in my family. Game of Kings is one of those books that you notice more in every reread. Good choice to read prior to seeing Hadrian's Wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read multiple books at once. I seem to be at my most comfortable with two. I was experimenting with three for a while but two seems best.

    Everything that you are reading looks good, but Sapiens looks particularly interesting. I look forward to your thoughts on it when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only read one print book and listen to an audio at a time. You mix a lot. The Koch novel The Dinner is quite well done I thought. Creepy and a bit shocking too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read mixed reviews about I Love You Charlie Freeman. Still, the plot is exactly the sort of thing I usually like, so I think I will give it a try anyway when my review stack is a little more manageable than it is now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're reading a diverse array of books. I checked out Lucy Barton from the library. I've also checked out some of the others from the long list of the Tournament of Books.

    As you know, I'm always reading multiples as well. I've been reading that way for a long time. I too am reading The Dinner (of course, you know that). I'm also reading The Handmaid's Tale, Sophocles' Three Theban Plays, The Four Feathers, and I'm listening to Jaws on audio. Wow, the Jaws book is totally different from the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I agree that We Love You Charlie Freeman didn't quite work. But it was a page turner.

    I loved Lucy Barton but read it months ago in 2016. I would like to revisit it before the TOB showdown in March to see if it holds up.

    I have had Dorothy Dunnett books on my mental TBR for a long time. Maybe I can try to work on in to the Back to the Classics Challenge?

    ReplyDelete