Sunday, September 25, 2016

Wild


I saw the movie Wild when it came out a couple of years ago, and finally got around to reading this memoir of hiking the Pacific Crest by Cheryl Strayed.  I thought Wild was a great book.

Yes, Cheryl is reckless and sets out to walk from southern California to Oregon without adequate preparation.  But, I think that is the point.  As Monty Python taught us, No One Expects the Spanish Inquisition.

When tragedy derails you and you are free falling and you see a way out of the fall, you take it, whether you are prepared for what that way might entail or require of you.

I admire Cheryl for recognizing that she was out of control and for taking on a task that enabled her to relearn self-control.  Her courage, grit, humor, and willingness to examine her life make her admirable despite her faults and weaknesses, not least of which was vanity.

I do believe that nature and wilderness can heal the mind and spirit--they can also be unforgivingly harsh.  I think Wild honestly acknowledges both facts.

I love hiking/walking adventure treks.  I wish that I was a backpacker and could do some of what Cheryl did, but I must be content with B&Bs along more traveled routes!

Excellent book--excellent movie.




8 comments:

  1. Stories of journeys such as this can be so enlightening. Such Treks can have a profound impact on the traveler. It seems that the trip as well as the change translates so well to books.

    I never saw the film or read the book. I will at least try to catch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have waited for "real life" recommendations for this book since it was so hyped. Yours is the one that has tipped me over into adding the book to my TBR. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried listening to the book when it was first released and it was a DNF. She reckless life choices made me mad. I couldn't understand her reaction as I was about her age when my parents died.

    I did watch the movie and thought that was pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I were the person who went on wild hiking adventures, but I think I'm the girl who just reads about them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armchair adventures are about my speed as well :)

      Delete
  5. Yes I liked the book & movie too, though I thought parts of the book crazy. Here are some of my thoughts when I read it at http://www.thecuecard.com/books/wild/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved reading your review--thanks for the link. Yes, some parts were crazy, and Cheryl and I are from different planets, but I still thought her story was worth reading!

      Delete
  6. I haven't watched the movie yet, but loved reading it with my book club last year. Cheryl was definitely not prepared, but I thought her journey was fascinating. My review from last year is posted at: https://lauragerold.blogspot.com/2015/04/wild-by-cheryl-strayed.html

    ReplyDelete