Friday, February 05, 2016

Paris by Edward Rutherford



I love Edward Rutherford's sagas of a place, usually a city, that span centuries and follow several families through time and generations as their fortunes rise and fall.  Paris was different from the others that I've read (i.e., New York, London, Sarum, etc) in that he didn't tell his story strictly chronologically, which made it a bit hard to follow at times, but overall I enjoyed learning about Paris through the stories of its citizens, landmarks, and geography.

The main story line begins with the building of the Eiffel Tower in the 1880's and ends with the liberation of Paris at the end of WWII.  I loved reading about Thomas Gascon, who talks Eiffel into hiring him as a laborer, and who witnesses the funeral of Victor Hugo, and ends up igniting the Resistance in Paris.  I also enjoyed reading about his devil of a handsome, charming brother, Luc, whose amoral behavior burdens Thomas.

Other wonderful characters include those of the bourgeois Blanchard family, the aristocratic de Cynges, and the radical Le Sourds.  I absolutely loved Eloise Blanchard, who supported the early Impressionist artists, and her niece Marie who reinvents herself a few times, developing a boutique department store in Paris and then retiring to the Loire Valley during WWII and helping the Resistance in her own marvelous way.  And then there's Louise, a bastard child who discovers her parentage on her way to becoming Madam of notorious brothel.  All good stuff, right?

Personally I think the book would have been stronger if Rutherford had kept to a linear arc rather than jumping around, but given the number of books that he's done in that way, perhaps he felt like experimenting a bit with Paris.

The best parts of the book were when he returned to the main story thread--from the 1880s to the 1940s.  I didn't feel like the parts about the French Revolution or the Middle Ages added that much to my enjoyment of the story.  Maybe too, though, I wanted to read more about the French Resistance during WWII, having just finished All the Light We Cannot See.

Now, I would love to see Rutherford tackle Rome.  I would read that novel for sure!


12 comments:

  1. As an aside, I met Rutherford some years ago at a Book Fair and Conference in Toronto. Of course he signed my book - and I commented on his fountain pen, adding that my father always wrote with s fountain pen and inkwell. He replied that he wrote all of his books in long hand with that very same fountain pen. And his assistants then transcribe the book onto a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I have a weakness for books set in or about Paris, mostly because I can't afford to go there as often as I would like, so I settle for traveling by book instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of his books, but I have London on the TBR stacks, just because so many of my favorite bloggers like his books. I will keep this one in mind, since I also love stories about Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started reading London years (possibly decades!) ago and never finished. Keep meaning to give Rutherfurd another try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admire how you actually finish Rutherfurd's novels. I think I have them all and dip into them with great pleasure for an episode or two and then jump to something else. But I love his writing, his imaginative reach, his research. He is a lot like Michener (I'm reading three of his in the same fashion) and they are both impressive and full of riches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admire how you actually finish Rutherfurd's novels. I think I have them all and dip into them with great pleasure for an episode or two and then jump to something else. But I love his writing, his imaginative reach, his research. He is a lot like Michener (I'm reading three of his in the same fashion) and they are both impressive and full of riches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read any Edward Rutherford books but his approach sounds appealing.

    I can understand why an author might want to jump around in time in order to keep things interesting. I can also see how it can turn into a bit of a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read and enjoyed all of Edward Rutherfurd's books, but this isn't one of my favourites and I definitely prefer the linear structure of his earlier novels. I've been wondering where his next book will be set - Rome would be a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have London on my TBR pile - glad you liked it and that it was more linear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I'd like to read one on Rome for sure! I havent read Rutherfurd yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just looking at my wish list and thinking I'd like to pick this one up soon. But maybe one of his others instead?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, this sounds EXCELLENT.

    ReplyDelete