Tuesday, July 28, 2015

High Summer Read-a-thon 2015 Wraps Up! #HSReadathon



I can't honestly say that I read more than I normally do last week, but I did have fun participating in Michelle's (True Book Addict) High Summer Read-a-Thon.



I read Andrea Camilleri's The Shape of Water, which is a police commissioner murder mystery set in Sicily.  Sicily is not on my itinerary for the trip to Italy this fall, but I enjoyed reading the mystery and especially loved looking up place names, recipes for dishes mentioned, and continuing to learn about the Mediterranean world.

After I finished The Shape of Water I dived right into Under the Tuscan Sun, by Frances Mayes.  I have it marked on GoodReads as read, but I honestly don't think I've read it before because none of it is familiar.  Of course, if I did read it while I was pregnant or when my kids were infants or toddlers, that could account for my forgetting it.  I find those years to be quite blurry!

Musings aside, I am loving Under the Tuscan Sun--the house restoration is sort of the side story for me.  I'm loving the food and the flowers and the pace.  So ready to devote my summers to gardening, reading, and dreaming!  Mayes has several Tuscany-themed non-fiction books, so I may read more from her later this summer.



I'm still enjoying listening to Winston Graham's Demelza--book 2 in the Poldark Saga.  And, enjoying the min-series, but the pacing is driving me crazy.  They just cover the high points of the story and skip over what I think are key parts.

I'm eager to get back to Irving Stone's The Agony and the Ecstasy, and another book arrived that I'm chomping on the bit to start, The Uncle from Rome, by Joseph Caldwell.  I read an excerpt from it in Italy in Mind, which is an anthology of Italy-themed writing, and was hooked.

Who says High Summer Read-a-Thon has to end?

Read on!


6 comments:

  1. I sometimes feel that my life is a read-a-thon, except I have to go to work - so that I can buy more books :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is brilliant, Lisa-- and so true. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Well said, Jane! The summer read-a-thon keeps rolling along. I think I might really like the mystery you mentioned! Glad you're enjoying your Italian-themed reading in preparation for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife read Under the Tuscan Sun and she loved it.

    Reading books about Italy prior to your trip is a very neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could say my summer read-a-thon is rolling on...this summer has been the weird kind of busy! Whew!

    Thanks for joining in, Jane. Always great to have you. :)

    I'm working on the giveaway winners. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely books! Under the Tuscan Sun made me want to live in Tuscany but I just know I could never do the house restoration - the food etc, now that is me!

    As for Poldark - the books are better, although I did love the TV series years ago.

    ReplyDelete