Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Mount TBR Challenge


I hear about this challenge every year and never do it...until now.  It's really tailor-made for me as I really do read mostly from my stacks, reserving my library visits for audio books or group-read or book club selections.

Bev at My Readers Block is hosting the 2015 Mount TBR Challenge--and here is the page if you want join in the fun and diminish your piles...so you can get more books for next year!

Here's the nutshell version of the rules:

Challenge Levels:

Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s
Mount Blanc: Read 24 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Vancouver: Read 36 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Ararat: Read 48 books from your TBR piles/s
Mt. Kilimanjaro: Read 60 books from your TBR pile/s
El Toro: Read 75 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Everest: Read 100 books from your TBR pile/s
Mount Olympus (Mars): Read 150+ books from your TBR pile/s

And the rules:
*Once you choose your challenge level, you are locked in for at least that many books. If you find that you're on a mountain-climbing roll and want to tackle a taller mountain, then you are certainly welcome to upgrade.  All books counted for lower mountains may carry over towards the new peak.

As a newbie and Colorado Springs native, I'm going to set my sights on Pikes Peak (btw, I just learned that the U.S. Board of Geographic Names decided a long time ago to not use apostrophes in place names as geographic features like mountains and rivers, etc belong to all the people).

Since my TBR Pile Challenge has 12 books required, I'm pretty much low-balling this one.  But, who needs more pressure right now anyway?

Pikes Peak, photo by Stewart M. Green


4 comments:

  1. Glad you're doing this one too. I'm still dithering about joining the TBR Pile challenge, but will probably give it a go - somehow putting a title on a list to read it immediately makes me want to read something else.

    Happy New Year, to you and your family - may it bring you good things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling (putting a book on a list makes it somehow less desirable...kind of like school), but it's only 12 out of the ~100 books on the TBR shelves.

      Delete
  2. Good luck on the challenge. As I mostly read from my enormous lifetime TBR Pikes Peak (I almost used the apostrophe! That is a fascinating fact!) seems to be attainable.

    Happy New Years and Happy reading in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the mountain metaphor works for us book collectors!

      Delete